Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I will opine, having lived in the Bay Area for nearly 20 years before moving to the Triangle 10 years ago, that all the areas are "bland" here. When I first got here I was driving around everywhere and all I saw were malls, strip malls, and housing communities. I remember saying, "there's no 'there' there." And I'm talking in Raleigh proper. Except for a few cool areas, nothing stood out in any of the towns. Raleigh? blah, except for the 5 points area and some of the older hoods. Cary? Blah. Apex? Blah. The number of uninteresting areas in the entire region far outweighs the number of cool areas.

The point is... it's kind of hilarious that one town belittles another since none of them are what I would call exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If one prefers "Walkable," one should buy/rent walkable. It can be done in Cary, in more than a few locations.
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I mean a place where you can walk from home to shopping to dinner and a movie, and then walk home again. I don't know of anywhere in the triangle where you can easily do that, particularly not Cary.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I mean a place where you can walk from home to shopping to dinner and a movie, and then walk home again. I don't know of anywhere in the triangle where you can easily do that, particularly not Cary.
If you live within half a mile of the Galaxy Theater in Cary, you can easily meet that objective.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
I know of one quaint area: Five Points in Raleigh. Of course your movie is limited to what's playing at the Rialto, but if you live in the Five Points area, you can accomplish the above.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
I can do that from my home minus the movies but we never go to the movies so it's no big deal for us. Heck, you can even do that from my parents' place with a movie and I don't even consider their neighborhood walkable.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The point is... it's kind of hilarious that one town belittles another since none of them are what I would call exciting.
So true

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you live within half a mile of the Galaxy Theater in Cary, you can easily meet that objective.
Ah now that is true - but is there a decent selection of shops and restaurants in the walkable zone? And how much time do you have to spend crossing roads and walking along roads that aren't really pedestrian-friendly?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
We live in the Trinity Park neighborhood of Durham. We are in the south side of the neighborhood and are:

- 5 mins walking distance to about 20 restaurants in and around Brightleaf
- 15 mins to Northgate Mall -- plenty of shoe stores, Macy's, Sears, etc. -- plus a movie theater with stadium seating and the blockbusters
- 15 mins to the downtown YMCA
- 15 mins to the Carolina Theater with art-house and independent films and live performances
- 15 mins to Whole Foods, Ben & Jerry's, coffee shops, etc.
- 20 mins to American Tobacco
- 5 mins from Duke's East Campus and all the activities there

In fact we walk this all the time. And as others have said, Cameron Village, areas around Glenwood South, and Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, all have this too.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted comment

Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
You walk and can do all of that in central Cary. OK, maybe not Hunger Games specifically, but there is a movie theater in central Cary (Galaxy) and they're re-building a historic one on Chatham Street.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
In fact we walk this all the time. And as others have said, Cameron Village, areas around Glenwood South, and Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, all have this too.
As someone who lives in Chapel Hill, Franklin st was somewhere I had in mind where you *can't* do this. There isn't much shopping to be had on Franklin st - everyone drives to Durham county when they need to buy anything that's not a Carolina hoodie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary