Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

The cookie cutter thing about Cary really annoys me. There are tract housing developments ALL OVER the Triangle area. It's largely for 2 reasons. The first is to create affordable, new housing very quickly.

The second, as was already mentioned, is to offer up this affordable housing to the deluge of transplants we get to the region.

We have plenty of lovely, custom homes in neighborhoods here in Cary. There are plenty in North Raleigh. Plenty in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'd like someone to tell my Cary neighbor, whose house and 2 ancient beater cars sitting in the driveway, that he's been "working on" for the last 10 years, plus all this other crap he has sitting out in his driveway and all over his front porch, that makes one hear the soundtrack to 'Deliverance' when getting close to his house, that we are {sniff} supposed to be upper middle class. You'd never know it if someone dropped you in front of his house!

No HOA here. No garages either for most of us.

I don't know what I would do if I needed to sell my house. My house and others on my street look normal and nice. But his is sitting right next to mine and it (and he) are an eyesore.
I think we had this conversation before! Those of you that are against the HOA...remember this!

I agree, moxie! It would be difficult to sell your home with a neighbor like that...and yes folks, it happens in Cary! But mostly in the older n'hoods. The new n'hoods are going to have HOAs. Again, choices are good!

Vicki

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

91 posts, read 308,386 times
Cary has the best looking Lowes around, second only to Hilton Head, SC

Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadytid View Post
I love that Lowes!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
A hyper-cynical answer. People always despise what they don't like in themselves. As the Triangle as a whole becomes more bland and suburban, people despise Cary all the more for being the most bland and suburban part of it. Always got to have someone to look down on!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 PM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
A hyper-cynical answer. People always despise what they don't like in themselves. As the Triangle as a whole becomes more bland and suburban, people despise Cary all the more for being the most bland and suburban part of it. Always got to have someone to look down on!
What do you find so bland about it? I mean what are you expecting to see in Cary that it does not have for a suburb. Granted I have not been everywhere in Cary, but it's my opinion it offers more than most of the other suburbs in the general area. I don't think Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville or Fuquay offer nearly the amount of healthy grocery stores, shopping in general, dining options, parks, greenways and even employment.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
What do you find so bland about it? I mean what are you expecting to see in Cary that it does not have for a suburb. Granted I have not been everywhere in Cary, but it's my opinion it offers more than most of the other suburbs in the general area. I don't think Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville or Fuquay offer nearly the amount of healthy grocery stores, shopping in general, dining options, parks, greenways and even employment.
I love Cary! I don't think it's bland. In fact I think it's a lot more diverse (nationality-wise) than a lot of the surrounding areas. But bland is what those who despise it say.

They would say there's a lot of identikit houses and lots of very similar looking roads and all the buildings have the same grey facades.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadytid View Post
Yup. I agree.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Cary has the stigma of being the "rich" uppity side of Raleigh.
The following is an opinion from a Raleigh native (me):

I think this is a common belief among the general population of Cary, not Raleigh. The Raleigh natives know that Cary is mainly compromised of "borrowed money" which, in some eyes, puts them on a lower pedestal meanwhile the Cary-ites think they are on a higher pedestal over the Raleigh natives.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The following is an opinion from a Raleigh native (me):

I think this is a common belief among the general population of Cary, not Raleigh. The Raleigh natives know that Cary is mainly compromised of "borrowed money" which, in some eyes, puts them on a lower pedestal meanwhile the Cary-ites think they are on a higher pedestal over the Raleigh natives.
*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary