U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 AM

859 posts, read 1,119,361 times

Advertisements

Looking for some assistance from those of you who know NC very very well. Here is what we're looking for:

-Large outdoor space for the ceremony (reception doesnt matter indoor/outdoor) - trees, beautiful landscape, color, natural life...this is most important.

-Something with an indoor option or tents per weather

-If reception is held indoors, something that doesnt look like the banquet hall in a Sheraton....meaning no shiny parquet dance floor

-Creative is a plus - love the idea of not getting married in a traditional wedding venue, but that certainly makes things harder

Ignore price....simply want the best. Right now we are considering pretty much anywhere in NC/SC, but dont really want Asheville (I know I know, its a long story).

Struggling with this as there are soooo many venues and frankly they are very difficult to look through over the net and dont want to visit all in person. Help us focus, need your suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 AM

477 posts, read 787,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Looking for some assistance from those of you who know NC very very well. Here is what we're looking for:

-Large outdoor space for the ceremony (reception doesnt matter indoor/outdoor) - trees, beautiful landscape, color, natural life...this is most important.

-Something with an indoor option or tents per weather

-If reception is held indoors, something that doesnt look like the banquet hall in a Sheraton....meaning no shiny parquet dance floor

-Creative is a plus - love the idea of not getting married in a traditional wedding venue, but that certainly makes things harder

Ignore price....simply want the best. Right now we are considering pretty much anywhere in NC/SC, but dont really want Asheville (I know I know, its a long story).

Struggling with this as there are soooo many venues and frankly they are very difficult to look through over the net and dont want to visit all in person. Help us focus, need your suggestions!!
If price is not a problem, you can't go wrong with Fearrington Village. They have a beautiful outdoor garden for a wedding and the barn is a unique place for a reception. They can also coordinate your entire wedding.
Southern Weddings - Intimate Southern Wedding Destination in North Carolina

Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 PM

749 posts, read 808,184 times
Disclaimer: Haven't been to any of these places with a wedding in mind but could work!

1. North Carolina Museum of Art - They have a Museum Park that is over 160 acres of woodlands and sculptures! Or lots of other areas in and around the museum to host special events.
NCMA

2. Umstead Park - The ultimate open space. It looks like there have been lots of people who rent a shelter and have their weddings there.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: William B. Umstead State Park - Facilities and Fees

This blog has some pictures of weddings -and may give you other ideas (Durant Park?)
Raleigh Wedding Blog: Durant Park

3. Not sure of what kind of outdoor venues are in Kinston but if great food were a priority, I would totally consider The Chef and Farmer in Kinston. Nothing but rave reviews on the food - just haven't had a chance to go out there. But certainly a 100 year old mule barn is outside the box!
Private Events – Chef & the Farmer

4. Love Charleston - the history and charm of the city. Perhaps a plantation wedding? Or other ideas at: Real-Life Weddings | Charleston Weddings

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:25 PM

804 posts, read 1,051,186 times
i've never been to this venue, but had someone mention a gorgeous wedding they attended here. it's called barclay villa, in angier, nc:

The Castle-like elegance of Barclay Villa is a perfect setting for your Wedding

fearrington house could be a good option, too, as previously mentioned. i could give plenty of ideas for raleigh but none are necessarily "exotic". if i were to select destination weddings, charleston, sc would offer gorgeous areas, there are some charming chapels at the outer banks, & old salem in winston-salem might offer something fun & historic.

for other outside wedding places in the area & other different reception venues:

The Sarah P. Duke Gardens
http://www.raleighlittletheatre.org/...servations.pdf
Cobblestone Hall: Wedding Receptions
Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern - Weddings

there's probably more that i just cannot recall right now.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 AM

434 posts, read 742,774 times
B&B Country Garden Inn > Home
This place is really nice too...
Fearrington is a great place for a wedding...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 AM

2,828 posts, read 8,129,934 times
There is a place in louisburg, nc that is quite nice for a wedding:

Wedding Venues in North Carolina - Wedding Receptions, Wedding Packages in NC

Another place, in wake forest, is Crenshaw Hall Plantation, they do set up tents, it is a beautiful house, etc I have seen some great weddings there!

Historic Crenshaw Hall in Wake Forest North Carolina (http://www.historic-crenshawhall.com/history.php - broken link)

Leigh

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM

404 posts, read 306,562 times
I went to a wedding last fall at Lake O' the Woods Plantation in Warrenton. Its a plantation home in a rural setting. The ceremony was on the front lawn, then we went inside the house for cocktails, and finally out to the back patio for dinner. It was beautiful! And the wedding party was able to stay there the whole weekend.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM

133 posts, read 307,980 times
Fearrington House in Pittsboro, NC. Most beautiful outdoor wedding I've ever been to!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM

859 posts, read 1,119,361 times
Keep em coming! This is helpful.

And for those who have been to weddings @ the Fearrington House and were blown away...what area specifically on the property did the wedding take place? They have a few spots...obviously dont expect you know the exact name, but if you remember the setup that would tell me. We checked it out this weekend, has potential.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM

434 posts, read 742,774 times
I've DJ'd a few weddings out there and I like the Crab Apple spot and the Willow oaks. But seriously, it's all so nice - it depends on how many guests you are having, the time of the year, the time of day of the wedding etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary