Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,688 times

Advertisements

Had Vonage. Dropped it recently for two reasons that are not really Vonage's fault.

1. We installed a new security system. For some reason, the system wouldn't sych properly via Vonage; so it always displayed the wrong time. Minor thing, but irritating. But the bigger issue was that the system routinely tried to update b/c the clock was wrong. During the update attempts, we could not use the phone. There was no way to stop this other than killing the security system or killing Vonage.

2. We had so-so call quality on a fairly regular basis. Most of the time, it was good. But from time to time, we would have a situation where the other person could hear us, but we could not hear them.

I actually kept Vonage for 3 or 4 yrs (don't remember if I got in 03 or 04). I think our problems centered around a relatively poor cable feed from TWC. We tried a variety of ways to fix that before deciding we just had to jettison Vonage.

We had TWC come out to install a "whole house booster" at one point (we were also having some trouble with our HD channels going in and out). Essentially, even with the boost, they could only get us up to the bottom range of "acceptable." We simply didn't have the best cable signal here. We had HD tv, cable internet, and VoIP. The pipeline just wasn't big enough.

Something had to go. I tried getting rid of cable internet and going w/Verizon DSL, but I hated it. So, we finally killed Vonage.

I still really like Vonage itself. I think my problems were not Vonage's fault. But, if we had VoIP service by TWC, they would have done more to service us. So, I'm going to switch to the TWC VoIP. It's only $5 more per month, which is still a heckuva lot less than normal phone lines.

Of course, if you lose power, you lose phones. That happened to us a few times. After the first outage, I programmed the "power outage" number for Duke power in my cell phone.

The TWC people tell me that the weakest cable stength in the Triangle is here in SW Durham (near Southpoint Mall).

fwiw,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,427 times
I use it for my business line for 2 years now and I've never had a problem. I love that I can check my voicemails from anywhere and they are sent to me in an email.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Default Watch out for Year 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkha2 View Post
I have Vonage for a year now. Happy with it.

But think about swap to Time Warner package for Cable/digital phone/ and Internet for 29.90 for a year promotion.

Has any one use this package. What is your opinion on the service ?.

Thanks
First, TWC charges more for the basic digital voice then anyone else including Cablevision (Yikes!). They also charge extra for voice mail.

As for the Triple Play offer it's fantastic for exactly 12 months. After that they'll hike the total bill to something closer to $150 per month.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
My first call with Vonage: echoes and at one point the person couldn't hear me. Not sure this was a good idea...but I'll stick it out for a couple of months...

Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,462 times
Scorp2000, is your Vonage router/ATA behind a broadband router? or does one device handle both?

Depending on your broadband router, you may be able to prioritize your voice traffic (or at least, all traffic on port X, which is your Vonage router).

BTW very happy Vonage customer for 3+ yrs now in 2 different states.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Vonage may be in a sticky wicket financially. Have not yet made a profit.

I like Bell South because of E911 + reliability in power outages.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default they will be in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Vonage may be in a sticky wicket financially. Have not yet made a profit.

I like Bell South because of E911 + reliability in power outages.
I belive that Verizon won a court battle over Vonage so their future may be in the air. I think that the cable and phone providers will shut down vonage and others since they have more money and thus mean more to the government.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,688 times
Default Vonage legal issues

IIRC, they worked it out, but there was some danger they'd go under for a bit.

Mike

Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
My first call with Vonage: echoes and at one point the person couldn't hear me. Not sure this was a good idea...but I'll stick it out for a couple of months...
Are you using a cordless phone and a wireless vonage router? If so, place the phone base as far away from the router as possible. I used to have terrible noise until one of my customers told me to do that. I felt like a boob but it worked like a charm!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Really! My phone is close to the router...I'll try that, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary