Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 AM

371 posts, read 1,357,709 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear people's experiences with RTP Federal Credit Union and more specifically if you've gotten a mortgage through them, would love to know if you found them to offer a good deal, to be efficient and straight-forward.

We are hoping to avoid for-credit banks. We find that not-for-profit credit unions are less eager to rip one off. But, of course, every organization is different, so I'm curious to hear about RTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times
II am a member of the State Credit Union. In general my experience is the credit Unions can offer some competitive ARM rates but typically are not as competitive when it comes to 30 year fixed rates since they have access to only a limited number of products to offer. Still, it is still worth shopping around and comparing.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM

735 posts, read 1,578,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Would love to hear people's experiences with RTP Federal Credit Union and more specifically if you've gotten a mortgage through them, would love to know if you found them to offer a good deal, to be efficient and straight-forward.

We are hoping to avoid for-credit banks. We find that not-for-profit credit unions are less eager to rip one off. But, of course, every organization is different, so I'm curious to hear about RTF.
I love them. I use them for Checking/Savings. They are terrible if you are a super saver like me. I just use outside sources for mutual funds and retirement accounts to help with that. I love the staff even though they have dulled out since moving from Slater Rd. to the small pocket branches around the area. I did not care for the mortgage program offered and was able to find a rate 1%-.75% lower by shopping elsewhere.

If you want a CU for a fixed rate VISA, low rate car loan, or low rate car loan they are awesome.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,136,501 times
I've had clients use SECU for their mortgage. The benefit is that they have very good adjustable rate mortgages and only charge l/2 origination fee. However, their rate on a 30 year mortgage isn't all that great.

As for banks "ripping you off", you need to have your agent review your good faith estimate and make sure there are no junk fees and no unusual fees.

Vicki

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,999,381 times
We just did a refi, and are members of the credit union, checked there and like everyone else said, the fixed rates are simply not as good (by at least a percentage point) as other banks (we went with RBC) -

Leigh

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM

600 posts, read 1,217,061 times
I don't have my mortgage through them but I have had accounts through them for 15 years and have always been very happy with the service. I trust them and don't usually trust banks.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 AM

735 posts, read 1,578,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
I trust them and don't usually trust banks.
That also sums up why I still bank there. I've never had a reason not to trust them and have always had stellar service. My daughter has had issues in the past but was always the same "young" guy who kept fumbling over himself and making errors whenever she made a deposit. They always made it right and life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary