Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 PM

39 posts, read 125,953 times

Advertisements

I will be arriving on Sunday morning before my interview Monday giving me the best part of a day to explore. Any suggestions for where I should explore that would help me to understand better if this might be a good place for my family?

(I grew up in a suburb of Atlanta, now live in Texas, am married and have 3 kids. I would be looking for houses in the 200-300k range if I were to move here.)

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Where will you be working? Some areas in that price range will be Fuquay Varina, Clayton and Knightdale to name a few. We might be better able to narrown down an area for you if we knew where your job might be.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Location...

Interview is for a position in downtown Durham. I don't have a very good feel for the distances.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM

I don't think any of the areas that I suggested are close to Downtown Durham. You could check out the area around Streets at Southpoint. They have some neighborhoods along Fayeteville Road area that are nice. and fairly new.

Southpoint, in my opinion, is the nicest mall in the Triangle. They have an indoor two level mall with nice outdoor shopping adjacent. They also have some strip malls across from there and in back with lots of shopping.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
There are plenty of choices in Durham within that price range.

I live in southern Durham near Southpoint Mall and really love it. The neighborhoods here tend to be of the cul-de-sac variety. Most were built between the late '80s and today (plenty of new construction if you want it). If you prefer older homes, there are some nice, historic neighborhoods near downtown Durham (Trinity Park and Watts-Hillandale, to name just two). There are pretty neighborhoods in western & northern Durham, too. In your price range, the list goes on and on!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM

MrsSteel, so where would I drive (realize I know nothing about the area) to see some of these neighborhoods. I plan to buy a map as my first stop. (I assume Sams Club will carry some sort of book map) I also got GPS with my rental car so I could explore with abandon.

My ideal house (I realize I might have to pay more) would be on .5 acre with a basement in a neighborhood with lots of kids. (like the one I grew up in in a suburb of Atlanta. :-) )

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
It might not be a bad idea to try to line up something with a realtor who could show you around a bit. Just a quick search at one of the realtor search sites locally for things over 2500 sqft and at least 4 bedrooms in Durham County and western wake, I came up with over 100 hits in your price range. A realtor could help you target a bit better.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM

I am not ready to be looking at houses yet. (especially before the interview) I am looking for places to explore and take pictures so I can get a good idea of the area. (so neighborhoods even where most houses are not for sale.) state parks, playgrounds, other neat areas.

--Alan

P.S. I would also love any suggestions for where I should eat by myself on Sunday.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I don't know about downtown Durham but as of now downtown Raleigh is pretty dead on Sundays. I was there last summer (and things could have changed by now) but there were only a few eateries open. I walked my legs off only to find nothing of my liking and hoped in my car to the burbs. Best of luck though in your search.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 PM

In Durham, my favorite restaurant is Magnolia Grill. It is pricey though but well worth it. There are also some nice restaurants on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. I would check to see if they are open on Sundays. I usually don't dine on Sunday so I am not familiar with whats open and whats not.

Citydweller is right. I was in Downtown Raleigh on a Sunday a few months back and only a few eateries open. We went to the afternoon theatre and were looking for a place to eat afterwards and after walking we hopped back in the car and headed elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary