Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM

72 posts, read 256,756 times

Advertisements

When you purchase multiple "buy one get one" items, don't you expect the items to be paired up to your advantage so as to give you the highest possible discount? How would you feel if instead, only the cheapest items from the entire purchase were free, and you were charged for all of the most expensive ones?

When I purchase BOGO items, I expect to pay for the higher priced item in each similarly priced pair of items. So if I order 6 items, I expect them to be paired up by price (two most expensive, middle two, then cheapest two), then to be charged for the higher priced item in each pair. So in this example, I would be charged for the first, third, and fifth most expensive items.

I would certainly not expect to be charged first, second, and third most expensive items. But this is exactly what happened to me tonight at a sushi restaurant at Crossroads in Cary. Had I understood what they had intended to charge me, I never would have ordered what I did, but by the time I had the check it was too late. I find this kind of pricing policy to be misleading at best, purposely deceptive at worst.

At any other kind of business, I never would have tolerated this kind of pricing policy. I would have walked away, or, if I really wanted the items, I simply would have made 3 separate purchases (by pairs, grouped to my advantage).

Have you ever encountered a BOGO policy anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I believe Tasu, in Brier Creek, does something similar. The last time I had sushi there was the last time because of how they rang up the bill. I had a long conversation with our server because of this.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times
Sorry, but with every BOGO I have gotten the lower/lowest price items were the "free" ones and I paid for the higher/highest prices items. I think this is standard across the board.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Usually "like" items are paired for a BOGO. I never trust restaurants to do the "right thing" when it comes to stuff like this....I've learned it's not worth the hassle.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
Sorry, but with every BOGO I have gotten the lower/lowest price items were the "free" ones and I paid for the higher/highest prices items. I think this is standard across the board.
Yeah, I think I always assumed this is how it worked. That's how it works for most things I've purchased BOGO in the past.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,886 times
i am with others....every BOGO I have ever done, you pay for the most expensive....I have never heard of pairing. So if it is buy one pair of shoes, get one free...you pay for the more expensive pair. If I bought 4 pair, I would expect to pay for the two most expensive...I am still getting two free pairs of shoes. I would expect the same for sushi.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
Same here!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
Most if not all fine print for any BOGO I've seen says the free item is "of equal or lesser value".

Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
Yeah, sorry to say, but I also would have expected it to work the way they charged you. But, lesson learned for you, right?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
When you purchase multiple "buy one get one" items, don't you expect the items to be paired up to your advantage so as to give you the highest possible discount? How would you feel if instead, only the cheapest items from the entire purchase were free, and you were charged for all of the most expensive ones?

When I purchase BOGO items, I expect to pay for the higher priced item in each similarly priced pair of items. So if I order 6 items, I expect them to be paired up by price (two most expensive, middle two, then cheapest two), then to be charged for the higher priced item in each pair. So in this example, I would be charged for the first, third, and fifth most expensive items.

I would certainly not expect to be charged first, second, and third most expensive items. But this is exactly what happened to me tonight at a sushi restaurant at Crossroads in Cary. Had I understood what they had intended to charge me, I never would have ordered what I did, but by the time I had the check it was too late. I find this kind of pricing policy to be misleading at best, purposely deceptive at worst.

At any other kind of business, I never would have tolerated this kind of pricing policy. I would have walked away, or, if I really wanted the items, I simply would have made 3 separate purchases (by pairs, grouped to my advantage).

Have you ever encountered a BOGO policy anything like this?
Standard practice at BOGO sushi restaurants. I'm sure the policy is even posted on the menu.

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary