U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How is your lawn this week?
brown dead 9 22.50%
a few brown patches 25 62.50%
almost green 5 12.50%
beautiful green 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM

694 posts, read 1,904,404 times

Advertisements

How is your lawn this week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM

4,609 posts, read 5,260,041 times
It's hot and crispy,

Old 08-10-2007, 09:17 AM

560 posts, read 1,954,651 times
Like a golf course . . . . smack in middle of the Atacama desert

Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

3,460 posts, read 6,433,123 times
Mine went from an assortment of green weeds, to an assortment of mostly dead weeds. Between the drought and the high temps, it's not surprising I'm not motivated to spend money on top soil/sod/whatever else. Too bad I can't get some fake grass to put out front!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM

7,574 posts, read 7,184,886 times
Okay, who is the one person with the beautiful green lawn, and how did you do it?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 AM

709 posts, read 108,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Okay, who is the one person with the beautiful green lawn, and how did you do it?
Either zozia or bermuda and water. Fesue is trouble now.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM

850 posts, read 2,258,998 times
We have mostly "green" in our front with a few brown patches but the green while looking nice from afar isn't all grass..lol. Last year when we closed and they had just seeded it was a beautiful lawn front and back. This year, the fescue has died out almost completely in the back.

After researching and getting a few overpriced expert opinions/quotes...it seems that bermuda or centipede are more drought tolerant and do not need the watering that fescue needs (especially if in full sun). Its said that centipede is the most drought resistant but it takes a few years to fully establish so most wanting quick lawns should opt for bermuda.

All our new neighbors (new homes) are asking for bermuda now instead of fescue and are doing well with their new lawns.

We're going to have to start from scratch in the spring. We'll be tilling and planting bermuda.

Lauren

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,613,340 times
We have a very shady front yard & very little lawn (no lawn at all in back as it is just forest). There are green bits here and there, but most of it has gone dormant. Note that we haven't been watering, so that has certainly contributed to the state of our lawn, but we have neighbors who water occasionally and their lawn looks the same as ours. So maybe it wouldn't have helped anyway!

I can't stand bermuda. We had it where I grew up. It gets into all of the flower beds & it doesn't feel nice to walk on. In fact, when we moved here, one of the things my mother said was that she hoped bermuda grass was scarce in NC. I think she may have been wrong about that, but I am sooooooo so glad that neither we nor our neighbors have bermuda. I understand why people with big patches of unshaded lawn might like it, but I'm staying far, far away from the stuff.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM

9,081 posts, read 18,841,086 times
Thumbs down Dead

My lawn is a fire hazard!

With the exception of a few weeds it is all brown. My fescue is a crispy critter. I have one side of the house that gets shade and the grass looks great even with no watering. I plan on overseeding in September and planting a few trees which should improve the shade situation with time.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM

959 posts, read 3,281,691 times
Ours is about 70% green but I have NO IDEA why b/c we've done zero watering. The worst area is a hill on the front lawn that gets full on sun. It's scorched completely brown. And we have some areas on one side of the house that were missing grass when we arrived, and now are missing even more b/c of a cable that had to be placed underground along the house, so that doesn't look very pretty Oh and a few unnatural looking half dead areas in the back from just 3 days of having baby pools and slip n slides set up last week

I'm pretty sure we have fescue. I've been reading the turffiles website and I think we might try the Fescue/Kentucky blue grass mix in the fall. Has anyone done that on their lawn?

The really sad thing is one of our next door neighbors has an underground irrigation system so their lawn looks like a golf course It makes ours look even worse by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary