Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 AM

98 posts, read 231,762 times

Advertisements

Thanks all! She's already here (which is why I haven't been hanging out on CD) and tomorrow we'll go to Duke Gardens and then explore some of your suggestions up that way.

Yes, she's the type that would chose a culturally, age, religious, sexual orientation diverse neighborhood over all others because she enjoys being immersed with all types of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
Why doesn't your friend find a house she likes and can afford, and then find social groups with "diverse" people. Much easier.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,399 times
There are different kinds of diversity.

Try look near NC State University in Southwest Raleigh. I live in Avent West - the part outside the beltline. I can think of several first-generation immigrant families on my street, though there's clearly more representation of Black and White Americans than others.

Another type of diversity, which my neighborhood has in spades, is that there is everything from huge houses on 2+ acre lots, huge fancy brand new houses on small lots, to modest houses single family homes, to duplexes, to townhomes, to apartments all on the same street. There's also good representation of housing stock from every decade since the 1920s. There's a good mix of rentals and owner occupants as well, both for the SFHs and the townhomes. Manicured and spotless it is not. $140,000 is reasonable for one of the more modest SFHs on the street.

But if you want neighborhoods where half the people are foreign born, you might have a hard time here in the triangle. Look in some of the new neighborhoods in Cary, but you might even have trouble finding a townhome in that range.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Parkwood in Durham (near Hwys. 54 & 55 just off the I-40 exit) is very diverse. It's a 50 year old subdivision with single family homes and townhomes and very mature trees. It was built around the time RTP was and was not part of the city then. It had (and still has) an elementary school, fire department, ballfield, two swimming pools, several churches, parkland and a lake. There's a strip mall that used to have a gas station and a Winn Dixie grocery store. The gas station is now a mini mart (no more gas pumps) and the rest of the strip mall was recently purchased by a mosque, which rents out the space for now. There's a Bahi center and Methodist church across the street from it. We're very diverse!

Parkwood Durham NC

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,637 times
if diversity means safe, I'm all for it... being a minority, I tend to look past that part of the equation and lean more towards a neighborhood with respectful neighbors instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary