U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 PM

478 posts, read 1,881,368 times

Advertisements

Firstly, am I wrong or is North Raleigh (around Durant and Six Forks, Falls Point, etc) much more hilly than Cary? I found it so gorgeous in these N. Raleigh areas, too, compared with everything I've seen in Cary (and I think we've seen it all).

These $800k-multi million dollar home subdivisions in N. Raleigh are out of this world! Prestonwood is very nice, if someone gave me a home there I would be thrilled. But what else in Cary is at the level of subdivisions like Devon? Or the Gates?

I hear/read people say all the time that things are so expensive in Cary housing, that there are 'really nice areas' but wow, I've not seen anything as nice, with surrounding green areas, horse farms as these N. Raleigh sds. Seems like Cary has convenience with lots of retail built near every subdivision but not the physical, natural beauty of N. Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,689,326 times
muse, I hope you're ready for the onslaught!

Old 08-11-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm feelin' lucky...I am.

I know.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:27 PM

12,025 posts, read 28,338,079 times
Shhhhh....the reason people THINK Cary is more expensive than NORTH RAEIGH is that all the magazines do not defferienate between Raleigh and North Raleigh so all the neighborhoods mixed together seem to be less pricey than Cary.

Truth be told...North Raleigh is more expensive than Cary and has always been.

You only THINK Cary stands for Centralized Area for Relocating Yankess but the real Cary stands for CANT AFFORD RALEIGH YET!!!

Vicki

Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Shhhhh....the reason people THINK Cary is more expensive than NORTH RAEIGH is that all the magazines do not defferienate between Raleigh and North Raleigh so all the neighborhoods mixed together seem to be less pricey than Cary.

Truth be told...North Raleigh is more expensive than Cary and has always been.

You only THINK Cary stands for Centralized Area for Relocating Yankess but the real Cary stands for CANT AFFORD RALEIGH YET!!!

Vicki
Me: Ohhhhhhhh.

Thank you for making more sense of this that I could.

Big ah-ha moment for muse today. Mark the date.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM

33,651 posts, read 58,376,323 times

Raleigh is a larger city, by a factor of 3. It is also a much older city, with a much deeper history, and national awareness. It is reasonable that there are more luxury homes and communities.
And, yes, North Raleigh sure does get rolling and hilly.

If you need to make a sizable monetary investment in a residence, you can do so in either city. More choices in North Raleigh than in Cary, and more conveniences near MacGregor, Lochmere, Regency, and Preston than some N Raleigh areas.

No losers in either area, and it is great to have options.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 PM

997 posts, read 4,253,780 times
Yes there are more high end neighborhoods in that North Raleigh Area than Cary. The three most affluent Triangle zipcodes are in that N. Raleigh area area. 27614, 27617 (Brier Creek) and 27615 in that order. The 27614 and 27615 are in the areas that you are speaking about.

I think Cary and N. Raleigh are different. N. Raleigh has larger lots out that way in some areas and is more wooded in some areas. For Cary, in addition to what Mike has stated, you might want to look at the subdivisions off of Penny Road such as the Birklands and Newstead Manor.

I live in Preston in Cary and I am impressed with the North Raleigh Neighborhoods. We looked up there when we moved but we settled in Cary for reasons that suited us better. The fact that RTP was just up Davis Drive, Morrisville-Carpenter to the Airport and how some of the schools were scoring here were the factors in our decision.

The two areas are just different flavors. Whichever you are more partial to and whichever area would suit your lifestyle and needs better go for IMO. I don't think you can go wrong in either.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,689,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Vicki and Muse - thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,277,547 times
North Raleigh has a bit more character to many of the neighborhoods where in Cary you get cookie cutter.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM

33,651 posts, read 58,376,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
North Raleigh has a bit more character to many of the neighborhoods where in Cary you get cookie cutter.
First time I have heard either MacGregor called "Cookie Cutter."
I can find a little time to show you Cary one day if you are available.

You can certainly have cookie cutter in Cary if that is your dream.
That is all that some people are able to see in Cary.
You can also have all the individuality you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary