Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times

Advertisements

A group of small biz owners want to organize a charitable bike ride in October and we would like to do something for a group that helps soldiers returning from war and their families, or veterans, etc. Wounded Warriors?

Would any of you know anything about a local Raleigh organization doing something like this?

We'll be doing this in October so I'll let you all know . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
I was a member of a local automobile club that gave a sizable donation to the Wounded Warriors. We found out that there is a civil organization for this and also a military internal organization. Through much work and red tape, we were able to give our donation directly to the military internal division, where we felt like it would do the most good. We were able to have influence on where the donation was used also, which was really cool. Spent the day down at Camp Lejune and got to meet members of the WW battalion.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,422 times
I know there is an organization called "Support US Armed Forces." If you would like, I can DM you the information that I have on file.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,721 times
Default Team River Runner - kayaking for disabled vets

Hey Saluki_lover!

I run the Raleigh chapter of Team River Runner (TRR), which is a national non-profit, all-volunteer organization that provides health and healing for injured, active duty and service members and veterans through whitewater therapeutic kayaking and other forms of adventure paddling. The News & Observer did a front-page article about our program a few months ago:

Hobbled vets regain sense of self through active living - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

Basically, certified kayak instructors including myself teach the vets basic skills in a pool, and from there, we head out on river trips of increasing difficulty as their skills progress. We include vets of all disabilities, and adapt the boats and stuff as needed for those with physical disabilities. We include family members as much as possible, too. We provide all the boats, gear, etc, for free to the participants, and our chapter is 100% self-supporting, so we would be incredibly appreciative if you would consider our group for your fundraiser!!! All, and I mean ALL, of the money we raise goes directly toward the boat/equipment/transportation costs.

Here is the national TRR website: Kayaking for Wounded Warriors and Their Families | Team River Runner

Our chapter's facebook page: Team River Runner RDU (Raleigh/Durham) | Facebook

Our chapter's website (a little behind on updating): Team River Runner Raleigh

We just got back from a 10 day "Week of Rivers" in the NC mountains, so there will be more pictures up soon ...we had 18 participants, about half of which were disabled vets and the other half their family members.

Thanks a bunch for thinking of the veterans...they sure appreciate the support!

p.s. sorry, I can't figure out how to get the links to show up without all the code....

Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Great cause. Check out Eric Greitens on Facebook - he lives for just this very cause. I recently read his book called The Heart and the Fist and he really has a passion for not only life but helping other people. Maybe he can help guide you in the right direction. Report back on what you decide or end up doing.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
What about the USO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary