Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM

45 posts, read 95,891 times

Advertisements

I live in Franklin County near Youngsville and have owned the same house for 15 years. I am anti-HOA and if you are too you can undoubtedly find some land in rural counties such as Franklin County that will give you enough buffer to not have to worry so much about what your neighbors might do. In our case we probably could have used some sort of HOA protection initially because the land next to ours was sold and the new owner put 3 single wide trailers on it for rentals; there was already a double wide on it. I'm sure it had a negative impact on our property value, but as someone that does not plan to move it wasn't too big of a deal. Plus the people that lived there were usually pretty nice. However, the nice thing about living on some HOA-free acreage is that we were free to build a 600ft 8ft tall fencing between the properties. I was also able to build a rather large garage and a pool without HOA mini-gov't intervention. We take very good care of our property and try to make it look nice, but you can't guarantee that your neighbors will. You basically just have to take the positive with the negative.

Another option that I have experience with in our area is land that can be purchased with convenants attached. I have some land in Vance county that the original owner subdivided and sold separately. There is no HOA but the covenants on the deed (which we had to agree to) stated that no mobile homes were allowed, no livestock other than horses, and no more than 3 homes could be built on the acerage if we decided to subdivide it later for family or whatever. I believe there were a couple more restrictions, but I can't remember what they are. None of them were too unreasonable and absolutely none of the restrictions involved grass cutting, siding colors or anything regarding your mailbox. For me this is a good middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM

233 posts, read 269,902 times
Unfortunately 95% or better of the people moving here want a subdivision so their kids will be around lots of other kids. I would much rather be in a stand alone house with a mountain behind me and water in front of me, without another house within walking distance. But good luck selling that when you need to. In the Triangle, a SFH by itself without lots of kids around is selling to a smaller segment of the buying population. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary