Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times

Advertisements

Park Place 16 on Chapel Hill Road in Morrisville pops their own popcorn. The theatre is a little older, but it still plays first run movies and isn't usually very crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,367 times
In addition to MV, Rialto, & the Colony, the Galaxy near Cary Towne Center should also get a mention. Delicious popcorn, coffee, beer, and wine!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterfinley322 View Post
In addition to MV, Rialto, & the Colony, the Galaxy near Cary Towne Center should also get a mention. Delicious popcorn, coffee, beer, and wine!
word. i was about the galaxy in addition to mission valley, rialto, & colony. of them all, rialto is my favorite. i always feel like i'm stepping back in time when i go there & the popcorn smells (& tastes) waaaaaaaaaay better than the regular theaters.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
I find it amazing that any theater would source out its popcorn. I have never been to a theater where they didn't pop their own popcorn. It really doesn't make busniness sense to source it. Popcorn is pretty cheap and so are the machines. I think that many people see them take the popcorn out of those big bags and fill up the warmers. That I assure you is popcorn popped earlier at the theater to have some on back up or if they popped too much. Now how long ago it was popped, who knows, but theaters sell so much popcorn that I would be surprised if any of it was over a day old. When I buy popcorn from the teather I also ask to get it from the kettle that's currently popping popcorn to ensure its freshness although I honestly can't tell that much difference from hour old popcorn.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Wow, what a great thread! LOL

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is concerned about fresh popped popcorn. My friend will actually ask for a "sample" before she decides if she wants to purchase any or not. Gotta love it.

I heard nothing but good things about Galaxy's popcorn. Something about the oil they use.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I find it amazing that any theater would source out its popcorn. I have never been to a theater where they didn't pop their own popcorn. It really doesn't make busniness sense to source it. Popcorn is pretty cheap and so are the machines. I think that many people see them take the popcorn out of those big bags and fill up the warmers. That I assure you is popcorn popped earlier at the theater to have some on back up or if they popped too much. Now how long ago it was popped, who knows, but theaters sell so much popcorn that I would be surprised if any of it was over a day old. When I buy popcorn from the teather I also ask to get it from the kettle that's currently popping popcorn to ensure its freshness although I honestly can't tell that much difference from hour old popcorn.
I've got a couple of friends who have worked at movie theaters, and many of them do indeed order massive bags of popcorn from some supplier in the midwest and just warm it up in the popcorn warmer. And even if not, I don't want to eat some popcorn that was popped 8 hours ago, even if was in the same theater. Bleeeeech.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,692 times
The Six Forks Cinema on Forum Drive (down behind KMart) does take credit cards. And while I haven't been in a while, they did pop their own last time I was there and yes they do have *adult* beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I've always enjoyed the pocorn at The Rialto in Five Points and The Colony Theater on Six forks in North Raleigh. They make the popcorn there. According to there website they were voted best pocorn by the Independent Weekly readers.

Raleigh Cinemas: Colony, Mission Valley, Rialto, Six Forks Station

I mainly enjoy those theaters for their ambiance. They are older, quiet, tend to have an older crowd and THEY SERVE BEER & WINE

While the "large" pocorn isn't all that big it isn't expensive and it only cost 0.75 cents for a refill. Beer is around $4-$5 and I much rather pay that for a beer than for a cup of soda.

If you do go to one of those theaters, bring cash. I don't think they take credit cards.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

246 posts, read 627,190 times
Galaxy Cinema not only has good popcorn but they have a couple of other treats. I love their cookies and they have samosas on the weekend.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Really? I've been to quite a few where you don't even see the kettles. They just have the big warmers out front. Or like the RBC Center where you can see in the storage rooms and they have bags and bags of popcorn just stacked up waiting to be trucked out to the vending areas.

I go to Park Place on Chapel Hill Rd. quite often (and even bought the large bucket so I can just pay $2.50 for refills all year). I always wait until they're popping a fresh batch and ask for the fresh/hot popcorn. Then I ask for a little cup of the popcorn salt (the buttery flavored salt). That's what really makes it taste like "movie theatre popcorn". I actually have a movie theatre popcorn machine at my house and the popcorn salt (and coconut oil) are the secrets to yummy popcorn.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 PM

205 posts, read 487,651 times
I personally think Target makes the best movie popcorn. Seriously. WAY better than what's available at the theater. And the price isn't bad either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary