Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:08 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times

Advertisements

May, early June...before Northern schools are out for the summer.

I wouldn't let fear of hurricanes keep you from the beach, though, after Labor Day (when schools are in session up North).

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
I've not been to shore yet myself. Big questions is: What month(s) are the best months to go if one wants to avoid excessive crowds and at same time avoid risk of hurricanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Hadn't heard that about Myrtle. Interesting. I've actually been to Myrtle a few times in the last 5 years, but just never made it down to that area.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM

365 posts, read 1,208,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I'm also a fellow NJ girl and while I love the boardwalk at times for my 8 year old daughter I don't want it every time I visit. We went to the Outer banks, which is a longer drive - about 3 1/2 hours. We stayed in Duck which overall the area there is very family friendly, places to shop and eat and beautiful beaches. We also just recently went to Top Sail beach which is only 2 1/2 hours and much more laid back and quiet compared to the outer banks. They purposely did not build it up much, just has beach homes and a small area in Surf City ( which is on the same strip as Top Sail ) with some stores and a few places to eat. Wrightsville beach I heard is nice, but is more crowded now and they have metered parking. Which to me is a pain. I always hated that in NJ..lol. Making sure you have enough quarters...run back before the meter runs out...etc. Myrtle Beach in SC I have not been to yet but would like to for the board walk it has and of course near by golf for my husband
Just a FYI about Topsail Beach - it's one word and we pronounce it "top-sull".

Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Here's a quick little read about the old Pavilion. Just a big empty lot now.

Myrtle Beach Pavilion (http://www.myrtlebeachboardwalk.org/myrtle-beach-pavilion.html - broken link)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Not any longer. There is no Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, they bulldozed it over two years ago. And the boardwalk there, is practically non existent. They tore down half of it to create an open space with benches overlooking the water. Myrtle Beach is trying to become a golf and shopping only destination. Most of the old water slides and go cart tracks are long gone. A handful of miniature golf courses remain. But if you haven't visited Myrtle Beach in 5-10 years, you wouldn't recognize it. The city does not want people loitering around on Ocean Boulevard like in the "old days" when the boulevard was packed.
I did not know that. Is this good or bad?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
I get the feeling from talking to people that NC beaches are...boring.
i'm wondeirng who the heck these people are that are telling you that, especially since a lot of your NJ (& other northeastern) buddies are all flocking down here with regularity to NC beaches at the outer banks, especially. like some have mentioned, NC beaches may not offer the huge boardwalk experience but they do have a smaller scale of what you appear to desire. if you want more of the atlantic feel, hit up south myrtle beach.

Last edited by LoopDeLoop; 08-08-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
I've not been to shore yet myself. Big questions is: What month(s) are the best months to go if one wants to avoid excessive crowds and at same time avoid risk of hurricanes?
First, we call it "the beach", not "the shore"--that's a few states north of here

Second--after Labor Day, crowds decrease dramatically, although the weather is still wonderful into October. However, September is dead-on hurricane season. Of course, the good thing about hurricanes is that you know well in advance that they are coming, but if you had already made vacation plans and booked a place, you might be SOL. Then again, after Labor Day, it's probably not difficult to find somewhere on the spur of the moment. If you don't mind hotels, you almost certainly could book somewhere only a week in advance (which is enough notice that you'd know if hurricane danger were eminent).

Yes, it's less crowded in early summer, as well, but the water is still cold then. The great thing about Sept/Oct is that even if the air is getting cooler (and often it isn't), the water has had all summer to warm up (especially this scorcher of a summer) and you can swim in the fall.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I did not know that. Is this good or bad?
Depends on who you ask. Myrtle Beach used to be full of water slides, go kart tracks, miniature golf, arcades, etc. That attracted lots of families with kids, and it attracted lots of teenagers and spring breakers. It had a very busy, noisy, bright lights, commercial feel to it, like a giant carnival. Ocean Boulevard down by the Pavilion was packed every night during the summer. There were nightclubs, bars, arcades, amusements, etc all within walking distance. But apparently the city got tired of it, and over time, the city has been taken over by retirees who moved there to play golf and enjoy the quiet life. So, they decided to attempt to make Myrtle Beach into a quiet golf community. Everywhere you look there are boarded up businesses and strip malls. All of the older malls are either gone, or run down. Old restaurants sit empty, some for many years. And all the while, new stuff continues to be built, like hotels and outlet malls. Many of the newer "resort" hotels try to keep you on site by adding bars, cafes and their own water parks. But if you remember Myrtle Beach from the 80s or 90s, and haven't been since then, you wouldn't recognize it.

I was told by a local business owner several years ago, they those who run Myrtle Beach wanted to become the Branson Missouri of the coast. Branson became an overnight sensation for the country music crowd, with tons of dinner theaters and hotels.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM

120 posts, read 296,339 times
Default Belmar Rocks

NRG - I'm from Belmar too...small world. I Love Belmar and if I could afford it I would have stayed forever. That's basically exactly what I'm looking for in a beach town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm from the Jersey Shore (Belmar / Spring Lake Area). I love the NC beaches. Because of it's proximity to Raleigh I frequent Wrightsville Beach. Beautiful beach surrounded by gorgeous beach homes. I usually eat at the Oceanic for lunch or dinner for some inexpensive but great seafood. (It is right on the beach and has great views).

I can't speak much about the other beaches in NC but Wrightsville doesn't have a boardwalk or arcades ect... FWIW, I couldn't care less about that stuff. What you call boring I call relaxing. I'm not into the carnival side of the beach scene. Now that I am older (in my 30's) going to the beach is all about sun, surf, and relaxing with my feet in the sand. The fact that in NC you can bring beer on to the beach makes it worth it in my book. I like a good game of skeeball as much as the next guy from NJ, but I don't find the NC beaches boring at all.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:19 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
NRG - I'm from Belmar too...small world. I Love Belmar and if I could afford it I would have stayed forever. That's basically exactly what I'm looking for in a beach town...

Wall Township checking in.
I don't think that you will find anything that is quite like Belmar, but you will find more naturally beautiful beaches in NC. You just need to try out a few different ones to find your preference.

Although my D'Jays and Headliner days are past, I believe the more lively beach scene is at Wrightsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary