Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

I've been here about 30 years and do enjoy the NC beaches, but if you want a "real" beach, go to the Florida panhandle. I haven't been in years, but Panama City was the Daytona Beach/Myrtle Beach for that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
What beaches in NC are the most quiet and peaceful with not alot of fanfare/activity going on? or what some of you might call boring...that's what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
What beaches in NC are the most quiet and peaceful with not alot of fanfare/activity going on? or what some of you might call boring...that's what I'm looking for. Any ideas?
Hatteras Island
Okracoke beaches
On those two, particularly the National Seashore areas with no homes.

4 wheel drive access beaches north of Corolla

Core Banks Core Banks, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We go to Avon, Hatteras Island and went in May this year. It was very quiet and very relaxing.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
Just a FYI about Topsail Beach - it's one word and we pronounce it "top-sull".
Do we really need to be advertising this lovely piece of heaven?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
NRG - I'm from Belmar too...small world. I Love Belmar and if I could afford it I would have stayed forever. That's basically exactly what I'm looking for in a beach town...
Aghhh Belmar the African American beach of choice. You old timers from Jersey know what I am talking about. How the world has changed!

Last edited by TuborgP; 08-09-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Do you want beach or do you want atmosphere and the surrounding area. If you want beach consider shoreline and how hard the sand is and how often the beach is cleaned and how much is spent on beach erosion control and reclaimation. The funny thing is that yesterday 2/3 of the people were in the water and not in their chairs due to heat and humidity. Everyone is saying the same thing about the only three places to be
A. Air conditioning
B. Ocean
C. Pool

So find a beach with good sand and good water and air conditioning close by and enjoy.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Do we really need to be advertising this lovely piece of heaven?

Nope. Topsail is terrible, I wouldn't recommend going there!

Boring, no boardwalks, no amusement parks, no traffic unless you get stuck at the Surf City light trying to turn left or at the bridge when it opens! No malls, no outlets, no reason to go!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Oak Island is very "family" orientated. Plenty of restaurants in Oak Island and 5 min. gets you into Southport and the river/park. Southport is quaint with a village type atmosphere, although there isn't much to do late in the day. Very relaxing. Plenty of public parking.

Most of the beaches described here are similar, with the exception of Myrtle Beach. Take a day, here and there, and check each out until you find one that you truly enjoy. Driving around, finding your perfect getaway is part of the fun!

Vicki

Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Okay, y'all have me thoroughly confused. Much of your advice seems to apply to day trippers. I AM going to the beach this weekend. I can stay over on Saturday and Sunday nights.

I'm trying to keep the motel costs down, so I eliminated OBX, I'd rather save that for a longer trip anyway.

I like the appeal of staying beach front or across the road so that I don't have to fuss about parking. Since I"m so late to reserve, my choices are limited.

Some of the less expensive hotels are right on the beach, by which I mean RIGHT on the beach, There isn't a strip of dune to be seen.

And many photos show a dark colored sand that I suspect has been trucked in from elsewhere in an attempt to reclaim some shoreline.

When I see that, I think, I would rather go to Ft. Fisher or somewhere that is not as developed, but of course I have no way of confirming the sand is better!

And then I thought: If my kids can go back to the hotel at will, they go in there when they get hot and turn on the TV.

Now I"m thinking of just getting a hotel a bit inland, maybe Wilmington, so that I can try Kure, Ft. Fisher, Wrightsville and Carolina beaches without having to feel stuck with my choice. If I don't like the sand or proximity to development, I can go have lunch and relocate.

BUT I worry the traffic in Wilmington on Saturday AM will be a pain. and of course, parking can be a problem. I do NOT want to go to a boardwalky area where my youngest will beg me to spend a gazillion dollars on junk. I just want to be at the beach in nature AND have easy access.

WWYD?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Okay, y'all have me thoroughly confused. Much of your advice seems to apply to day trippers. I AM going to the beach this weekend. I can stay over on Saturday and Sunday nights.

I'm trying to keep the motel costs down, so I eliminated OBX, I'd rather save that for a longer trip anyway.

I like the appeal of staying beach front or across the road so that I don't have to fuss about parking. Since I"m so late to reserve, my choices are limited.

Some of the less expensive hotels are right on the beach, by which I mean RIGHT on the beach, There isn't a strip of dune to be seen.

And many photos show a dark colored sand that I suspect has been trucked in from elsewhere in an attempt to reclaim some shoreline.

When I see that, I think, I would rather go to Ft. Fisher or somewhere that is not as developed, but of course I have no way of confirming the sand is better!

And then I thought: If my kids can go back to the hotel at will, they go in there when they get hot and turn on the TV.

Now I"m thinking of just getting a hotel a bit inland, maybe Wilmington, so that I can try Kure, Ft. Fisher, Wrightsville and Carolina beaches without having to feel stuck with my choice. If I don't like the sand or proximity to development, I can go have lunch and relocate.

BUT I worry the traffic in Wilmington on Saturday AM will be a pain. and of course, parking can be a problem. I do NOT want to go to a boardwalky area where my youngest will beg me to spend a gazillion dollars on junk. I just want to be at the beach in nature AND have easy access.

WWYD?
For a two night stay, I would be as close to the water as I could get. Running to all the different beaches will mean too much time in the car, IMO.
And having said that, the beach nourishment, i.e., trucked in sand is not very appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary