Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM

42 posts, read 93,161 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before -- my husband is going to work for Moen in Sanford, NC, but we want to live as close to Raleigh as possible. So I'm thinking Cary or Apex, near 1. We're going to be moving at the end of the month, but we have five kids and a dog so we'll need a house rather than an apartment or townhome. I've been searching craigslist but it's hard to find a house. Any thoughts? We can pay up to $1200/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM

30 posts, read 177,674 times
realtor.com and zillow.com

Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM

447 posts, read 1,619,814 times
Ask a realtor to help find you a house to rent. That realtor may get paid a finders fee by the landlord/leasing company.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 AM

131 posts, read 445,908 times
www.craigslist.org. I've found a few nice houses that way, most of the time from private owners....but both prop. mgmg and renting from private owners is all about the luck of the draw. Having said that, BE CAREFUL of the scammers, and call ONLY those who list a legitimate phone number.

Cary is expensive. Do your research.

Actually, I don't really believe there is a cheap area to live anymore within 35 miles of Raleigh (includes Cary & the rest of Wake County) and now Johnston County is expensive. Inside Clayton city limits, the town will charge you up the rear for utilities. A friend of mine lives in Ellington s/d right off 42 in Clayton, and she told me her utilities for her 1,800 sq. ft house ran her $400 this month - that includes electricity, water/sewer/trash. Her gas bill is separate, and was almost $60 (she has gas stove)...that's $460.00 worth of utilities!!!!! ....that's alot!! The moral of the story here in Clayton: Live out of Clayton city limits (and have either a well or county water) if you are considering this side of town....

I've been looking to downsize into a 1,500 sq. ft. house with a price range of $1,000 or under - every single day since March...and can't find one that's decent (I refuse to live in drug-infested downtown Clayton or a trailer, especially after the tornado damage here earlier this year, sorry). I have 4 kids, so 1,200 sq. ft for $1,000 (the current average rental rate for 1,200-1,300 sq ft out in Clayton) is not going to cut it for me - just not big enough...thus, my struggle to find a 1,500 sq ft house is appearing to be fruitless. I'm not interested in buying (been here too long lol).

Also, do thorough research on school budgets/community issues. The bussing thing in Wake County is a nightmare, and with all the state budget issues, extracurricular activities for schoolaged children are very sensitive issues.

Gas is about $3.65 a gallon here in Clayton, so definitely consider that re: commuting...because it does add up. I commute to Cary each day (work 8-5) and the traffic SUCKS AND it's expensive. On average, almost 2 tanks of gas per week = MONEY per month. More importantly, take the test drives during rush hour; during rainy rush hour (not sure how US1 is back and forth out that way) and see if you can deal with it. Above all else, rent before buying. I think this whole area is ENTIRELY too over-rated, both economically, with job availibility (8,000 people applying for a vacancy at any given time), and educationally (and we're in Johnston County schools, which are deemed by many to be superior to Wake County schools).

Last edited by bleighorr; 08-27-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM

131 posts, read 445,908 times
p.s. you actually may want to stay in Sanford....from what I hear, it's growing in leaps & bounds. Raleigh is traffic, traffic, more traffic. Capital Blvd. (where many of the stores and car dealerships are) is a nightmare on any given day. I NEVER go into Raleigh unless I have to (Saturday pediatrician office hours).

In Sanford, at least you'll be able to buy a house for cheaper....because if it's true about the growth rate escalating there, 5 years from now, housing market will probably be overinflated (like here in Clayton, which used to be much cheaper to live in 6 years ago as compared to Raleigh - now it's just as expensive --or moreso when you calculate the gas for commuting!). We used to journey to Sanford a few years back when the kids played football, and it appeared to be a nice, quiet little town. I do know that a pharma co. migrated out there (cost of doing business is cheaper), and now obviously Moen, so now may be a nice time for you to settle in before the Great Invasion.....loll

Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary