U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM

35 posts, read 38,944 times
Default 8-Year Old Son Needs Glasses - Where to Buy?

My son will turn 8 in November and has just been told he needs glasses - 20/50 in one eye and 20/60 in the other. He's terribly upset about this as he feels glasses "aren't cool." I have his prescription in hand and am looking for any recommendations for where I should buy glasses. Price is not as much of a concern for me as is a wide selection, good customer service, and staff expertise in selecting and fitting glasses for children. If anyone can recommend such a place (or even a specific person at such a place), I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:24 AM

822 posts, read 975,231 times
We just got our daughter glasses at BJ's. Lenscrafters/Eye Care A. and so on are rip offs. Their so called customer service as really bad. They act like you are lucky they are there. The people at BJ's were great.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 AM

744 posts, read 1,434,298 times
If you have to pay out of poket go to walmart. They are dirt cheap.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 AM

421 posts, read 589,326 times
Bj's is where we buy are glasses. Great service and they always come in early.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,009,609 times
Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses

If you do buy a pair locally, at least use Zenni to get a cheap 2nd pair as backup.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM

6,056 posts, read 8,543,217 times
Zenni is great. Have your son pick his own "cool" second pair online. You just need to be able to properly enter his prescription and ask your eye doctor for his PD (pupillary distance, the distance between the centers of his pupils).

You can upload his picture (it's not public), and "try on" any of the 175 children's styles on his photo, and the entire cost of one pair of glasses is generally less than $30 -- including frame and lens. Maybe let him have a fun pair and a school pair.

If he sees that it's fun to "try on" glasses on his face on the Internet, and if he has some ownership of it, it will probably be a much more positive experience for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses

If you do buy a pair locally, at least use Zenni to get a cheap 2nd pair as backup.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM

4,199 posts, read 6,705,474 times
This post brought back memories because at 8 my son said he was having trouble seeing the board. We had a full eye exam and his eyes were fine.
Turned out that a friend had glasses and he wanted some too.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berob View Post
My son will turn 8 in November and has just been told he needs glasses - 20/50 in one eye and 20/60 in the other. He's terribly upset about this as he feels glasses "aren't cool." I have his prescription in hand and am looking for any recommendations for where I should buy glasses. Price is not as much of a concern for me as is a wide selection, good customer service, and staff expertise in selecting and fitting glasses for children. If anyone can recommend such a place (or even a specific person at such a place), I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.
Nice folks on the optical shop staff at Wake Opthamology in Cary.
It won't be the cheapest, but I live on the other end of the frame-size scale from an 8 year old, and most places won't even try to fit me right.
I got the frames I wanted for not much more than buying them online and having lenses put in.

At lower price points, I've been to BJ's, and they are nice. Sears varies. LensCrafters doesn't excite me.

Somehow, I just don't envision the staff at Zenni as proactive at helping an 8 year old through a reluctant transition to wearing glasses.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM

6,056 posts, read 8,543,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Somehow, I just don't envision the staff at Zenni as proactive at helping an 8 year old through a reluctant transition to wearing glasses.
Of course not. That's why 2 of us recommended a SECOND -- backup -- pair through Zenni -- and I bought a backup pair for my grandson, and their customer service people were WONDERFUL in directing me to frames that would work best for him. If the OP already has a place she buys the first (expensive) glasses, the local place would probably have little problem fitting another pair for them as a favor.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM

489 posts, read 968,361 times
My 6 year old son has been wearing glasses since he was 15 months old and we've always bought them at Eye Care Associates. They have a great protection plan for kids and we have often needed it. I've had a lot of trouble with Zenni prescriptions not being correct. We always have them checked by my son's ophthalmologist at Duke and every time they have been off. We were never able to use BJs or Walmart due to the complexity of my son's prescription but if you do go with them just make sure they have a good breakage policy because without a doubt your son will probably break the frames many times.

We've had great luck with the staff at Eye Care Associates. Another think with kids is that the fit is constantly needing adjusting as they bend the frames while playing so we are always in there getting adjustments and they have always been great about replacing the broken frames and doing frequent adjustments. They have never given us any trouble or even questioned us when we arrive for the millionth time with broken frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary