Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times

Advertisements

So I've pretty much made up my mind to cancel my TWC cable since the latest expiration of my "promotional" pricing. We watch about six channels regularly, and only two of those are cable channels. So it just doesn't make sense for me to be throwing money away on all the rest of the channels. I'm curious about the experiences of other Triangle residents who are taking the path without cable!

I've read here and there about using OTA antennas, and I'm considering a Mohu Leaf (http://www.gomohu.com/free%20tv%20-%20television%20antennas.html - broken link) (good review and local company!). Does anyone have any experience using the Leaf in the Raleigh area?

The one thing that worries me the most is our dependency on the DVR. I've gone without cable before (for about eight years!), but the DVR has been a game changer. We watch very little live television, and I have a feeling we will go through some serious withdrawals. What are your experiences with services like HuluPlus and Netflix for watching streaming shows whenever you feel like it? What other options are out there?

Lastly, is there any other equipment I will need? We currently live in an apartment, so putting a big antenna on the roof or in the attic is not an option.

If you have a complete setup that works really well for you, please share!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,140 times
I went cable-less when I first moved to Raleigh, and still would be if I hadn't moved to an apartment that is accidentally giving me cable for free (and moving again in October, new apartment includes it in rent). I thought it was going to be SO hard and I have to say, I didn't miss it *that* much, and spent the first 4 months jobless so had a lot of time on my hands. I watched a lot of my seasons on dvd, joined netflix which I'm still a member of and love, and DID MORE!!!! That was the best part. I got an appletv thing for Netflix so I can watch streaming on my tv and love it. In the first apartment, I had one of those $20 antenna things you put behind your tv and get all the free channels. It worked really well. As far as DVR, I've never had it and will never get one (whole other post!) so I can't vouch for those withdrawals.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,265 times
We were cableless when we first moved to Raleigh for a few months. I did not miss it AT ALL. I checked the internet to stay up with current events, listened to the radio, and the couple of shows I did like to watch were all available online (for free) so I could still watch them as well. We have been subscribers to netflix for a few years and we do like it. The addition of the instant streaming has been great - we've found a lot of shows that we started watching through netflix. We are college football fans, so we will start up cable again for the fall. But I didn't mind being "cable-less" and I found I looked for other things (that were much more fulfilling) to do instead of just mindlessly flickering through the channels when I had free time.
I vote TRY IT! Give yourself a few weeks (the first few days may be difficult) but you can always get cable back!

I am hoping that even when we do get cable, I will stick to a limited time and continue to pursue my new found other interests!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,687 times
I enjoy streaming tv shows on Netflix. No commercials and I can watch an entire season over the course of a few days.

However, Netflix streaming tends not to have some of the more popular shows or more popular movies.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,339 times
Default Cableless in Cincinnati

Hi,

I'm not in your area but can vouch for not missing live tv as much as I thought. We have young children so I didn't watch it that much anyway. We have both a Roku box (was about $60) and Apple TV (about $100). They have similar capabilities it's not necessary to get both. We thought Hulu Plus was going to give us access to some shows that aired the night before but that didn't seem to be the case (at least not the shows we wanted to see) so we'll have to wait until the season ends to be able to get them. You might want to check out both of those options to see what shows are offered - it seems that CBS and USA networks haven't allowed these companies to stream their content yet.

Just thought I would offer my opinion...the only problem we see coming up is with football. Not sure how it will go with missing out on live sports.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM

226 posts, read 506,748 times
We pulled the plug on cable years ago. Like you, I simply could not justify the (outrageous) expense just to watch three channels of (usually) reruns and/or advertisements. Most of it was just pure junk. While I'll admit the first couple of weeks took a little adjustment (instead of channel surfing 99+ stations it was only 5 at the time), after that it was no problem.

Right now, we just have OTA digital TV with an indoor antenna (it plugs into the electrical outlet to boost signal) and get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, the CW, RDC, CoolTV (like MTV but with actual music), a country video station, a couple of retro programming stations, and one that shows B-movies (at least that's what I call them). Plus they add stations from time to time. I'm very happy with it and wish I'd quit with cable sooner. I only have about 2-3 shows that I don't want to miss and they've always been broadcast TV.

We also have streaming Netflix via AppleTV. PatRoy1 is correct, instant Netflix doesn't offer many of the new "in" shows but that's really a function of the producers rather than Netflix itself. They do have offerings via DVD that aren't available streaming and vice versa. However, I've never found myself at a loss for something to watch on NF and my current queue is upwards of 200+ movies. With AppleTV there is also iTunes movies and TV shows, both of which are more current offerings, but the prices are a little too high for my taste.

I've not done Hulu or Hulu+ but I have a couple of friends how do and like it.

If you need a new release movie you can always do Redbox, too.

I'd say go for it and see how you like it. TWC will always be glad to reconnect your service if you change your mind.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM

181 posts, read 338,752 times
Been without cable tv for years..Haven't tried the Leaf yet, but going to. Currently my OTA is just on ground level in a stand of pine trees and getting 33 beautiful channels. Love having access to 2 CBS stations. WRAL in their weather mode, can just switch to Greensboro.

Use a Roku..love Netflix and Amazon VOD...Crackle has lots free movies..Buy some current seasons from Amazon, such as The Closer and Justified... no ads.

Used HuluPlus as DVR last year for non CBS stations, but looking at getting the Channel Master OTA DVR from Amazon, $300. and no monthly fees, if broadcasters are going to delay making shows available to HuluPlus this season.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 AM

246 posts, read 626,909 times
The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the plug on cable is live sports and Food Network.

My friend did Hulu+ and loved it. You might want to get the higher tier of broadband if you go the streaming route.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times
Wow, thanks for all the input so far! I'm definitely feeling more confident about cutting the cord hearing more about what others do as alternatives.

I know I won't miss having cable, but my husband is another story. He has always been a huge Survivor fan (the kind who has to watch the show the night it airs to avoid spoilers), so I'm more worried about him adjusting to not having a DVR than I am myself. He actually enjoys the Food Network more than ESPN, so I'm not too worried about that - plus we live around the corner from a sports bar for when college football starts back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Been without cable tv for years..Haven't tried the Leaf yet, but going to. Currently my OTA is just on ground level in a stand of pine trees and getting 33 beautiful channels. Love having access to 2 CBS stations. WRAL in their weather mode, can just switch to Greensboro.

Use a Roku..love Netflix and Amazon VOD...Crackle has lots free movies..Buy some current seasons from Amazon, such as The Closer and Justified... no ads.

Used HuluPlus as DVR last year for non CBS stations, but looking at getting the Channel Master OTA DVR from Amazon, $300. and no monthly fees, if broadcasters are going to delay making shows available to HuluPlus this season.
I have a really old rabbit ear antenna that I'm going to try "for fun" even though there is no way to mount it on a new TV . Pretty sure I'll try out the Leaf. I'll have to look into the Channel Master!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 AM

563 posts, read 955,043 times
I do not have cable tv (only internet). I use Netflix and watch episodes of shoes I am interested on after they post on the tv channel's website. I do have a converter box and antennae as well, but rarely watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary