Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
It's hard for someone who really has no purpose being here...ya know? I don't want to look like Aunt Creepy - so I just suck it up and go to a family member's house somewhere where I know I can blend in with the homeowner answering the door!!
Take a neighbor's kid!!!

It seems like lots of parents also take their kids to the malls and the individual stores hand out candy. I've seen parents dressed up there too!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
It's hard for someone who really has no purpose being here...ya know? I don't want to look like Aunt Creepy - so I just suck it up and go to a family member's house somewhere where I know I can blend in with the homeowner answering the door!!
You could always come up with a costume that had a "cart" or something, and go through the streets giving out things to kids or just being a "fixture". Or, help someone who goes all out. Last year my other half and I dressed up and acted as "yard fixtures" in the yard of a friend who always has the most decorated house in his neighborhood. Then as the kids were walking away, we would "come to life"--they loved it (though I almost got hit in the head by one "wise@ss" kid saying "I'll see if he's real").

Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I always go to a movie on Halloween and avoid the whole thing.

(And boy this conversation did stray very far from the original question about the *weather* on particular holidays!)

Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
so, when they talk about NC being a 4-season state...that means that just in the mountains it snows, but nowhere else. From the comments here, it sounds like Raleigh doesn't ever get snow?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
^ Never!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
so, when they talk about NC being a 4-season state...that means that just in the mountains it snows, but nowhere else. From the comments here, it sounds like Raleigh doesn't ever get snow?
Not true in the least. You asked about October, November, and December, but we get snow in January and February, even March. It "typically" snows twice a year, though there is no such thing as a "typical" winter here. We went 4 years with no real snow at all. But the snows here are typically under 6", which Northerners find laughable, especially because it tends to shut down the city, since our snow-removal equipment is (justifiably) paltry compared to where they are used to. We DO get 12+" once in awhile, but it's not very common and doesn't stick around long. But I don't know why you thought Raleigh "doesn't ever get snow". Your question didn't ask about winter, just Christmas and the fall holidays.

Here is a one-stop Raleigh climate reference for the past 30 years from NOAA. You can see from the "Average month-to-date snowfall" that the AVERAGE for January is 3" and for February is 2", but that is counting several years with 0, so when we do get snow it is more than that.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
It snowed last year the day after Christmas and they did a better job plowing than they ever did in my town in NY!! 3 plows came by in tandem about 10:30 a.m. and cleared the road down to the black top. I was impressed.

Then we went up to NY and had to navigate the snowbanks the plows left in the road after the blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary