Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 PM

47 posts, read 193,509 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are hoping to move down to the Raleigh area from NY in the next year or so, and I am always looking for info about the area. My favorite time of year in NY is fall, so I started wondering what fall would be like in North Carolina. Sometimes in NY it is too cold to wear your costume without a jacket at Halloween, and Thanksgiving can be brutally cold. With autumn fast approaching, I'd love to hear about the weather on these holidays, and how it effects the way you celebrate. (For example, are you still wearing capris & tank tops on Thanksgiving?) I think it would be fun to hear! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
it's usually too hot to wear something over our costumes at halloween. but then again it can be cold. i remember some christmases being in shorts. generally mild falls with beautiful crisp days where you need a sweater or light jacket at the start of the day and then AC around noon.

We have had a brutally hot summer so I'm really looking forward to crisp days in about 2 months.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
You'll probably wear a tank top your first year at Christmas but it only takes a few years to go soft!

For Halloween it's almost always warm enough to not need a jacket and in November it's mostly the upper 50's during the day. The winter is the strangest time because while it can get cold (relatively) it rarely stays that way for long and you can get quite warm days in between cold spells.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
October is when the glorious "fall weather" happens here, but then we get more hot days afterwards, often around Halloween. And often in November, even around Thanksgiving. I remember raking leaves in shorts a few times.

Christmas is usually around the 40s--only VERY rarely do we have a white Christmas in Raleigh (I grew up here and have NEVER seen one because the two times it snowed on Christmas, I was out of town).

There are any number of sites you can Google (I'll leave that to you) to get a details climate report of the weather in Raleigh (or any city)--also, here is City-Data's own page on Raleigh, which has climate as one of the measures.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM

226 posts, read 506,913 times
Halloween is generally comfortable. It can be a little chilly, but nothing long sleeves won't handle.

Thanksgiving is about the same, but maybe a tad cooler. We normally have our family get together outside, if that tells you anything. Only one year so far (in about 12) has it been really chilly on Thanksgiving.

Christmas is just a little cooler, maybe 40s or 50s. I've only seen one white Christmas in my entire (40+ year) life. Although, mind you, we did have a major ice storm back in 2001 (or 2002) two weeks before Christmas. Generally though it's no problem.

Honestly, I wear shorts here the majority of the year, except maybe mid-January or so. We've even had New Years Day picnics outside.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
The most difficult thing for people to get used to here is that it can be cold for about 4 days, or a week, then the next week it will be 20 degrees warmer. And, by cold I mean it is 45 degrees for a couple of days, then it is back up close to 70! The fall is just unpredictable here, which is fun!

And yes, I usually end up sweating after walking my kids through the neighborhood for halloween, they have worn long sleeves, but never a jacket

Leigh

Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
unpredictable.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Halloween is better in NY, at least in western NY. People decorate their homes a lot more there, seem to have more parties, and generally, just celebrate more than here.

I don't know if it's because historically NC has been part of the Bible Belt or what. But it's not the same thing.

Regarding weather, what we used to call "Indian summer" lasts through to mid-November here. It's nice. I remember seeing people (guys) at work (one of those "best places to work" places) still wearing shorts and flip slops, but that's a bit much. By November, it's usually time for big boy pants.

I do remember attending the Christmas Parade in Raleigh right after Thanksgiving a couple times, and it was about 72 degrees.

But as others have said, it varies.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I'm not sure where you are moving here from (what part of NY)...I didn't really find anything different about Halloween here than on Long Island. One of our neighbors had a pumpkin carving party....the biggest difference on Halloween was that on Long Island most trick or treating was done by 7 p.m. and down here no one goes out till it gets dark. A lot of people in our neighborhood put their firepits in their driveways and toast marshmallows etc while they wait for trick or treaters. My kids had a great time.

We've only been here a year so I can't speak to the weather every year, but even on LI, I remember very few really cold Halloweens. Tgiving....I think it rained this past year? This past Christmas it snowed overnight and we woke up to a white day-after-Christmas (while you guys were getting a blizzard in NY).

Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report has historical averages by date. And is guaranteed to be more accurate than the perception of a bunch of strangers on the internet. (Why people use this kind of site for something that is essentially data-based always puzzles me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary