Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM

407 posts, read 1,070,319 times

Advertisements

On the subject of lakes, are they (in North Carolina) generally safe to swim in? Unfortunately, a 16 year girl here in Florida recently passed from swimming in the St Johns; they suspect amoeba. Any one know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM

700 posts, read 1,639,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
On the subject of lakes, are they (in North Carolina) generally safe to swim in? Unfortunately, a 16 year girl here in Florida recently passed from swimming in the St Johns; they suspect amoeba. Any one know?
That's a good question. It would depend on a few factors. What is the boat traffic? Is there any sewer spills? Are there snakefish in the lake? These can get you quicker than the amoeba.

As for the girl......
Within the next few days, federal health officials should reveal whether a deadly freshwater amoeba caused a Mims teenager's death.
What to do to prevent.....
"When the weather is warm, in every lake in every park, every river -- you will find the amoeba. You should not dive into the water, and you should not disturb the bottom of the lake. You should use earplugs and noseplugs,"

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,851,609 times
According to some family members of the girl I know who live here in the Triangle, the cause of death was indeed amoebic encephalitis.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM

407 posts, read 1,070,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
That's a good question. It would depend on a few factors. What is the boat traffic? Is there any sewer spills? Are there snakefish in the lake? These can get you quicker than the amoeba.

As for the girl......
Within the next few days, federal health officials should reveal whether a deadly freshwater amoeba caused a Mims teenager's death.
What to do to prevent.....
"When the weather is warm, in every lake in every park, every river -- you will find the amoeba. You should not dive into the water, and you should not disturb the bottom of the lake. You should use earplugs and noseplugs,"
So, safe to say, precautions here in Florida are relatively the same in North Carolina when swimming in lakes, rivers, and ponds? I was hoping to hear that because the weather is generally cooler in NC than it is here in FL that you all don't have to deal with the amoeba issue(?).

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,949,514 times
Unless things are different we spent all summer in the lake swimming & skiing along with thousands of other people.
I wonder if its like the shark attacks...so rare that some people prefer to enjoy and not focus on that one in a million chance.
If you fly you could crash
If you drive you could crash
If you stay home your house could catch fire or a tornado could hit you.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,972,589 times
Don't know about the other lakes around here, but it seems every summer various beaches at Falls Lake are closed at times because of bacteria. Falls Lake beach closed because of bacteria - Health/Science - NewsObserver.com

Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,495 times
when we moved here aeons ago, a native told us

"Southerners do not swim in the dog days of august. not in lakes, streams, inlets or oceans. August is for sitting and drinking sweet tea under the gentle breeze of porch fans." or something to that effect.

when I asked around, I was told generally the water will be warmest in August b/c the days and nights are both warm so things just get warmer.

just the thought of stirring up amoebas or whatever gives me the heebie jeebies.

give me a chlorinated warm pool any day! or a crisp maine lake.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 PM

634 posts, read 907,369 times
During the recent heat blast the surface temperature of Jordan Lake was about 90 degrees.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM

82 posts, read 147,339 times
I used to run a camp just north of Atlanta. I swam in the lake every day during the summer for about 15 years. Still living and breathing. We had kids from 8-18 in the water every day for all of those 15 years and never had anyone get anything other than a bad case of swimmer's ear.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

831 posts, read 1,956,915 times
Think of one giant petri dish. It's warm, then it's scalding hot, the water is perpetually warm, there is rarely if ever a freeze to kill anything...makes for some scary soup. Bacteria levels in Jordan and Falls can be atrocious. The public gets probably every 10th warning in the news about the levels. HA what you don't know might hurt you.

Then there was the poor boy whose face was almost eaten off by chromobacterium violaceum a couple of years ago. I will admit that lake water horrifies me anyway but all the conditions are right for a lot of these types of situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary