Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM

360 posts, read 995,748 times

Advertisements

So, today I realized the water bill was due today, and Holly Springs has a drop box for the bills, but on the box it says if you drop it off after 5pm it will be credited for the next day, well I managed to get there just a minute or 2 before 5 but I have a feeling they already picked them up for the day. This has happened to me once before and I got hit with a late fee, which wouldn't be so bad, but they are now charging around $25 for a late fee I feel this is excessive on a $90 water bill! And the bad thing is it doesn't matter if you get it there a few minutes before 5, if they've already picked up the checks you will get hit with a late fee, and they will not listen at all when told that you had it there by 5. I asked if they walk out EXACTLY at 5, and she said yes, which I know is bull since the last time I had it in there by 5 and still got hit with the fee. I think with as much as they are charging for a late fee they should credit anything as being on time as long as it's in the box the day it's due. But then I guess they would make less in raping people on the fees I am tempted to go there tomorrow with a video camera that has a time stamp on it and record them picking up the bills, I'd love to prove them wrong once and for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Raleigh only charges a $5 late fee.

I would leave nothing to chance with a $25 fee. I would pay the bill the day it was received!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
So, today I realized the water bill was due today, and Holly Springs has a drop box for the bills, but on the box it says if you drop it off after 5pm it will be credited for the next day, well I managed to get there just a minute or 2 before 5 but I have a feeling they already picked them up for the day. This has happened to me once before and I got hit with a late fee, which wouldn't be so bad, but they are now charging around $25 for a late fee I feel this is excessive on a $90 water bill! And the bad thing is it doesn't matter if you get it there a few minutes before 5, if they've already picked up the checks you will get hit with a late fee, and they will not listen at all when told that you had it there by 5. I asked if they walk out EXACTLY at 5, and she said yes, which I know is bull since the last time I had it in there by 5 and still got hit with the fee. I think with as much as they are charging for a late fee they should credit anything as being on time as long as it's in the box the day it's due. But then I guess they would make less in raping people on the fees I am tempted to go there tomorrow with a video camera that has a time stamp on it and record them picking up the bills, I'd love to prove them wrong once and for all
If you get no results by telling the clerks you were there before 5 and you still got the penalty, report it to the NC Attorney General's Consumer Protection Bureau.

That might get the town's attention.

You might also call the mayor's office.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM

If they do charge me, I think I might call WRAL, I think that's the news channel that does the consumer investigations. It would make a good segment, they could set up a hidden cam and record exactly when they empty the drop box, then confront the rather nasty ladies working at the water department!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Raleigh only charges a $5 late fee.

I would leave nothing to chance with a $25 fee. I would pay the bill the day it was received!

I know I know But the bill is sent out on the 1st and is due the 15th, it's the only bill I get that's due the middle of the month, so I always absentmindedly put it in the bill pile and forget it's there till I start to get the bills in the mail for the next month. I also think it's crazy how they only give you 2 weeks to get the bill to them, not just sent out but in their hands or you get slapped the late fee! I wonder what people do who go on vacation for the first 2 weeks of the month? The other absurd thing Holly Springs does is they will shut your water off with no notice. I found this out the hard way when I first moved here. I got the bill in the mail, and of course forgot about it, see it around the 17th when I start getting my other bills in the mail, but figure since I already incurred the late fee I'd just wait till I get the next one in the mail and send in 2 months worth (stupid me thought it would be nice to save a stamp!). So about a week later I came home and the water was shut off! No notice, no phone call, nothing!! And then they charged me some crazy fee to come out and turn it back on! I am going to start calling them the water Nazis, because that's how they act!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM

113 posts, read 727,729 times
Actually, HS water bills are mailed out on the 1st and due on the 25th. After the 25th, a $5 late fee is charged. You have until the 15th of the next month at 5 pm to pay your past due balance or yes, you will be disconnected. They don't "give notice" per se, but it's common knowledge in town that water gets cut off on the 16th, plus it's noted on the original bill. The $25 fee you speak of is if you don't pay by the final deadline and get added to the disconnect roster. This can all be verified on the HS town website. For what it's worth, you can always call in your payment if you're concerned about not getting their by 5. Or you can also pay online, where your payment will automatically be timestamped.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times
Time to take some of the personal responsibility that is lacking in our society. You're an adult. If you didn't want to risk paying it late don't wait until 2 minutes before it's due. Is it that hard? You obviously have had an issue paying it on time from what you mentioned in the past. Putting it aside and forgetting about it, and then blaming the city for your irresponsibility, is absurd.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum98 View Post
Actually, HS water bills are mailed out on the 1st and due on the 25th. After the 25th, a $5 late fee is charged. You have until the 15th of the next month at 5 pm to pay your past due balance or yes, you will be disconnected. They don't "give notice" per se, but it's common knowledge in town that water gets cut off on the 16th, plus it's noted on the original bill. The $25 fee you speak of is if you don't pay by the final deadline and get added to the disconnect roster. This can all be verified on the HS town website. For what it's worth, you can always call in your payment if you're concerned about not getting their by 5. Or you can also pay online, where your payment will automatically be timestamped.
Then something was wrong with my bill, because it said right on it that it was sent out August 1st for $91 and if paid after August 15th I'd owe $116. And I know the last time I sent it in late several months ago the late fee was excessive too, but I don't remember it being $25. Maybe they upped the fees to pay for the new sidewalk to nowhere?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Town of Cary is a month behind on billing...but hasn't charged any late fees...I just received my bill on Saturday {8/13/11}for the 5/19-6/19/11 billing...crazy....hopefully they will catch up by September...I pay it right away to avoid any late fees, you never know, they may say we were late even though they're a month behind on billing...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 AM

154 posts, read 389,525 times
I recommend using the automatic deduction service:

Water & Sewer, Holly Springs, NC (http://www.hollyspringsnc.us/service/water.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Automatic Deduction: Set up bank draft service, which automatically deducts the amount of the utility bill on the 21st day of each month from a checking or savings account. There is no charge for this service.

Download and submit the completed form with a voided check or deposit slip to the Finance Department by any of these options:

Faxing to (919) 557-7407
E-mailing to cindy.rose@hollyspringsnc.us
Delivering to the Finance Department on the first floor of Town Hall at 128 S. Main St.
Mailing to Town of Holly Springs Finance Department at P.O. Box 8, Holly Springs, NC 27540

Online: Click the water drop icon to register for this free and secure service online. Then pay with your Visa or MasterCard debit or credit card. You can choose to have your bill e-mailed rather than receive a paper bill. Find information about your account online, including gallons used and any late fees. Account balances are updated daily.

Late Fee Waivers
Finance Department

Utility customers who have had utility service with the Town of Holly Springs for at least 12 months are eligible for a waiver of a utility bill late fee. To waive a late fee, no other late payments can have been made within the past year of service.

Customers are eligible again for a waiver of a late fee after one fiscal year from the last request. Requests for late fee waivers must be made in writing. The waiver request must be received within 30 days of assessment.

Download and complete Request for Waiver of Late Fee form to submit to the Finance Department by any of these options:

Faxing to (919) 557-7407
E-mailing to debbie.mann@hollyspringsnc.us or gloria.heggie@hollyspringsnc.us
Delivering to the Finance Department on the first floor of Town Hall at 128 S. Main St.
Mailing to Town of Holly Springs Finance Department at P.O. Box 8, Holly Springs, NC 27540
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary