Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,965 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum... well actually I have been looking at some of these posts for a couple months but new to posting... My family has to relocate to the RTP area in the next month for husbands work.

I have several questions to ask sorry if this is long winded.

What is living in the Parkwood area like? I was told by someone to stay out of South Durham, but Parkwood is very close to husbands work so he wants to live there.

Also I am an avid gardener and am out of my comfort zone in your hot climate, I have always gardened in a zone 3-4, can anyone give me some tips or recommendations?

As a mom (girl-7 / boy-3) I am very worried that I will not be able to get out and socialize with others and was interested in seeing if anyone here knows about a parent-to-parent style meetup in the area.

Lastly and probably most importantly, has anyone dealt with a mortgage broker that has experience with foreign purchasers? I can not find anyone who will speak to us about a mortgage until husband has worked for 2 years there. We have been home owners for 10 years and are not wanting to go back to renting now.

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Parkwood is not in the "scary" part of South Durham--it's a suburban area, albeit an older (1960s?) one. Yes, it is very convenient to RTP. I don't live there myself, but know where the area is.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM

873 posts, read 1,016,648 times
I have a friend who lives in Parkwood and is very happy with the neighborhood. It has a small convenience store, an elementary school, some churches and plenty of sidewalks to enjoy. Lots of kids too - I was there during Halloween last year, and they went through three bags of goodies, which was pretty impressive to me. The families seem nice, and it's very easy to get to both Southpoint and Research Triangle Park (10-15 minutes each, depending on location). Only bother can be NC 54 with its two lanes coming in and out of the main entrance, but there is a stoplight there that helps a great deal. I think you'll enjoy the area. As for your other questions, sorry, I don't have any answers for them.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the answer's, I keep hearing about Southpoint, can someone tell me more?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tam View Post
Thank you for the answer's, I keep hearing about Southpoint, can someone tell me more?
It's a mall. Lots of shopping in the area. The most suburban area of Durham.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
It's a mall.
LOL... okay thank you!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tam View Post
LOL... okay thank you!
Haha, you're welcome. I did realize people think of it as an area so added a bit more

Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM

146 posts, read 294,978 times
I think of Southpointe as much more than a mall. Yes, there is the mall, but it's surrounded by housing developments, other shopping venues, restaurants, etc. I live in Chapel Hill and we refer to the entire general area as Southpointe. We call the mall "the mall", not Southpointe. Does that make sense?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
As for gardening, I guess it would depend on exactly where you'd be, but there are certain areas that are heavily shaded.

As far as socializing , you could join Trianglemommies.com. There are a few Parkwood moms in the area. I'm sure you could post in the relocation and/or South Durham (you need to request to join that areagroup) subforums and 'meet' some of them online. They host periodic playdates specific to that part of Durham.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Thank you for the link, I am so nervous about moving away from everything I know and love here. All this help has made me a little less scared of NC... I am actually moving there blindly, husband went for the interview by himself so when we move that will be my first look at the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary