Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Also be aware that NC Quick Pass is currently limited to NC only. Until they make agreements with tolling agencies in other states, you can't use your Quick Pass anywhere else and people with EZ Pass or whatever can't use theirs here.

And even when they do reach reciprocity agreements, you'll need to have one of the $20 hardcase transponders in order to access other tolling systems. The $5 sticker transponder won't work outside NC no matter what.

Makes me long for California's Fastrak again...the transponder is free there as long as you secure it with a deposit or a credit card and return it when you cancel your account. If you want people to use the service, don't pile on upfront fees.
Up until yesterday, the opposite was true and they were touting EZPass compatibility on the Web site and in the press. Who dropped the ball?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
"...Did I miss where the State of NC made it mandatory to use the toll road..."

Did you miss where the highway is paid for with NC taxpayer dollars?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Im not totally against the idea of toll roads but I would feel a little better if they had not eliminated two major routes to build the toll road. Then you could definitely say don't drive on it. Of course in other states they have also avoided improvements on parallel routes as well. Whose to say whether it is intentional to drive people to use tolls or not?

I just checked the site after reading SFspiderman's post and they have definitely reversed course on compatibilty somewhat. I'm sure the various agreements will come soon but just are not done yet but they have been touting the $5 sticker transponders all along and it flat out says they will not work in other states now. You have to get the $20 hard case or $25 exterior for compatibilty. Not a huge deal but definitely different than what they've said all along.

That's really been part of my problem with this all along. It has been rushed through due to an OMGWTFBBQ we're out of money situation that you could argue was somewhat manufactured and then the communication has been half donkeyed all along and only later do they really publicize the parts that make people mad like closing the Davis exit or the fact that while they spend money on extras like decorative concrete instead of good old metal supports while taking tax money to oay for the "toll road" or they just let them discover it themselves like the fact that they planned on working all night long all summer long 300 feet from houses.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 10-11-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
"...Did I miss where the State of NC made it mandatory to use the toll road..."

Did you miss where the highway is paid for with NC taxpayer dollars?
Nope. I knew that. But I don't have to pay $0.27 /mile to use I-40 IN ADDITION to the taxes I already pay.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM

84 posts, read 159,127 times
Oooh don't forget gas tax too!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Is it considered a "hidden fee" when it is posted on their website?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM

379 posts, read 959,366 times
Does anyone who has read the "fine print" know IF they will issue a refund on the purchase of a transponder WHEN/IF agreements with EZ PASS and the like are reached??? I ask b/c I have an EZ PASS & would not want both.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
There's nothing addressing that. You would have to call.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
When does the nex section of 540 open? Is it really $.27/mile? That cost seems high to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM

29 posts, read 81,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techshuffle View Post
It is not a huge deal with the Quick Pass charges, but people should be aware of all fees that come along with the new Toll Roads that are coming to North Carolina. Transparency is so important and often the State has a hard time telling everything up front and not hiding things until it is to late.
Thank you, it's very informative. And yes, transparency is so important to all tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary