U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 PM
 
5 posts, read 34,088 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I took the road test in the Cary DMV last week. The rude, unprofessional examiner kept picking and making fun of my driving all the time. When I sat down at his desk he asked me nothing about my basic information (like my address, date of birth, etc.), instead, the only question he asked was the relationship between me and my friend who went there with me and he asked that several times (we are roommates so we don't have anything to hide, but I still think this is totally none of his business). When I sat in the car before the test began he insisted that I should readjust my seat or it would be "illegal" for me to drive (which I'd never heard of) even if I told him I'm comfortable with the distance from my seat to the wheel. During the test he just kept yelling at me NO MATTER what I did; it seemed that he just didn't want me to pass because I'm sure I could not have done everything wrong. Also, he didn't believe anything I told him, for example, he spoke very fast, and I'm a non-native speaker, so I sometimes had trouble understanding what he said, so when I missed one of his directions I told him that was because I didn't get what he said but he said "no, that's because you were not listening". The most terrible part is after he failed me he told me I should ask an American to teach me driving instead of my friends from my own country (I'm from China) because "Chinese see things from the same perspective as you do but different from the Americans do so it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to know or teach you how to drive properly in the USA"! I think this is totally discrimination. I know I should partly blame myself for failing the test, and I may need more practice (mind you, everyone who had been teaching me driving said I'm a very good driver - careful, confident, and having good control of the vehicle), but I don't think I should be totally responsible for my failure. Having such a picky and mean examiner sitting beside me made me very uncomfortable, nervous and more likely to fail the road test.

The problem is, this examiner wrote a very long list of how "incapable" I was and I'm sure he had also written how "troublesome" and "dangerous" I was while driving in the notes the DMV keep for the record of everyone who fails the road test, so this week when I went to take the road test again (I went to the DMV on Avent Ferry Rd in Raleigh this time), the examiner (another tough examiner, I have to say) just didn't believe I practiced or I was capable of driving properly after only one week and she said I could choose from either not taking the road test, or taking the road test but she was going to fail me on the first mistake I'd make NO MATTER WHAT THAT IS. I had to say I gave up because I knew I'm not perfect (but which driver is? Even the most experienced driver cannot guarantee that he/she'll never make a sigle minor mistake!), then that tough woman said nothing but kept yelling at me and my friend who came with me, saying that according to the records she saw, I was totally not paying attention on driving and very dangerous. She didn't even see how I drive but she just assumed that I was "dangerous" and kept being rude to and scolding me and my friend in front of all the people in the DMV because of what she assumed! We went out very upset. What a mean lady and what a terrible experience!!!

Now I'm really wondering what I should do. Should it really be so hard for a non-citizen to get a driver's license? Why do examiners in the DMV have to be so rude to other people? Is that the case for all the examiners in all the DMV in NC, or I was just having very bad luck? Besides, should I wait for a longer time before I re-take the road test so that the examiner may believer I've practiced and become "capable"?

Last edited by happykitten62; 08-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: typo

 
Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
8,272 posts, read 22,655,006 times
Reputation: 5568
the DMV is generally not know for their people skills.
I'd recommend that you actually keep practicing for the next couple of months and go back and try again. Not everyone gets it on their first try. It might actually help to have an American drive with you if you know someone willing to help.

Last edited by lamishra; 08-20-2011 at 12:24 AM..
 
Old 08-20-2011, 01:36 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,408 posts, read 9,899,820 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
I took the road test in the Cary DMV last week. The rude, unprofessional examiner kept picking and making fun of my driving all the time.
Insulting the examiner is not going to win you any points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
it seemed that he just didn't want me to pass because I'm sure I could not have done everything wrong.
Are you sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
The most terrible part is after he failed me he told me I should ask an American to teach me driving instead of my friends from my own country (I'm from China) because "Chinese see things from the same perspective as you do but different from the Americans do so it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to know or teach you how to drive properly in the USA"! I think this is totally discrimination. I know I should partly blame myself for failing the test, and I may need more practice (mind you, everyone who had been teaching me driving said I'm a very good driver - careful, confident, and having good control of the vehicle), but I don't think I should be totally responsible for my failure.
Who do you think is responsible for your failure? Do suppose there might be a possibility that your friends who are teaching you to drive may just be telling you what you want to hear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
Having such a picky and mean examiner sitting beside me made me very uncomfortable, nervous and more likely to fail the road test.
If you are too "uncomfortable and nervous" to deal with a "picky and mean examiner," have you considered that you may need additional practice before passing the road test? Driving can be very stressful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
Now I'm really wondering what I should do. Should it really be so hard for a non-citizen to get a driver's license? Why do examiners in the DMV have to be so rude to other people? Is that the case for all the examiners in all the DMV in NC, or I was just having very bad luck?
Examiners are not hired to be polite--they are hired to ensure safety.
 
Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 AM
 
3,022 posts, read 4,311,394 times
Reputation: 3685
Sounds like you got this guy -


License to Drive (movie) - Driver's Test scence - YouTube
 
Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
1,162 posts, read 2,421,048 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by happykitten62 View Post
Should it really be so hard for a non-citizen to get a driver's license?
It should be that difficult for anyone to get a driver's license. Driving is a privilege not a right.
 
Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,379,905 times
Reputation: 7812
Just don't tape a sign to your car that says "Screwed by Town of Cary DMV" that will probably really upset the examiner.

Find someone who will give you HONEST feedback about your driving skills and practice if you have to. If others feel you have the skills (not your bestest friends) go to another DMV and as was suggested, bring a friend to ride with you?
 
Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Ellicott City MD
2,270 posts, read 8,349,430 times
Reputation: 1851
I'm sorry the examiner was rude, but to be honest, they all are. It is everyone's expectation of DMV examiners; there's a reason "like someone who works at the DMV" is an American expression for someone who is rude.

But I think your expectations for timeline here may be way too aggressive. The average American who grows up here takes Driver's Ed and then holds a permit for a year or more before actually getting a license. You don't say how long you have been practicing, but the fact that you tried to re-take the test in a week makes it seem like you want the process to go really fast. When I failed the behind the wheel test when I was 16 I didn't go back for 4 months.

In the state where I now live (Maryland) everyone who applies for a driver's license must have taken driver's education, even if they are over 18. North Carolina does not have this requirement, but I would strongly suggest that you go to a professional driving school and take a driver's ed course.
 
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
 
662 posts, read 1,416,395 times
Reputation: 1064
If I heard this conduct about one of my employees, there would be an investigation. I agree she was rude and discriminatory - I know people from other countries who drive here just fine (after practice and passing the test of course). I disagree that all DMV examiners/employees are rude. Some are, some aren't like anywhere else. But even if they all are rude, doesn't mean you have to sit back and take it. I would try to speak to a supervisor or at least file some sort of official complaint. I would think there are plenty of people who need jobs who would be nicer to customers and treat them with dignity and respect. Definitely practice, commit the rules to memory, and take the test again at a different location!
 
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
 
662 posts, read 1,416,395 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Examiners are not hired to be polite--they are hired to ensure safety.
I think "people skills" are a requirement of any job dealing with the public. Yes, the first priority is safety, but people skills are on the list too. In all the jobs I've worked, I've had to be nice to my customers AND successfully navigate difficult challenges. It can be done. So even if the OP sucked at the test, sounds like the examiner could have handled it better.
 
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
 
5 posts, read 34,088 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I know I have to practice more. I've been driving for years when I was in China and I've practiced for about 4 months after I came here, so I'm confident about my driving, but I may still need to practice more. Not sure if I'll have to go to driving school - I'll see.

I understand if the examiners picked up my mistakes - frankly I think it is good for me to have someone pointing out what I did wrong. What I meant was I felt very uncomfortable and upset about how they treated me - if I made mistakes, they can just tell me "you should not do this and this; it's dangerous" or "you really need more practice", instead of making fun of me, yelling at me rudely and saying those words of discrimination, especially for the second examiner who didn't even see how I drive and just yelled at me because of what the first examiner said. I've seen so many Chinese friends driving very well in the USA so it cannot be true that "it is IMPOSSIBLE for Chinese to drive properly in the USA". And when I didn't get what they said could they please believe me that I really didn't get them instead of assuming that I was not paying attention? Maybe they cannot understand how hard it would be for a non-native speaker to understand them if they speak too fast and not very clearly, but sadly, it still happens to me some time even if I've already been in this country for one year.

I'll re-take the test after a certain period of time and go somewhere. I'm thinking of going to the DMV in Wendell because my boyfriend lives there and he can take me there for my road test. Hope I won't get yelled at again!!

Besides, I'm wondering two things: first, is there really a law saying that you must sit at a certain distance from the steering wheel? I was confused when the first examiner said my comfortable distance from the wheel was "illegal". Second, is it allowed if the examiner refused to take me on the test or fail me on the first mistake I make no matter what that is only because of the records from another examiner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top