U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 PM

8,274 posts, read 11,740,552 times
It's kind of funny to watch the media coverage of this storm. I sometimes get the impression that in the view of national media outlets, a storm isn't really a storm unless it hits New York or New Jersey. It's almost like they view the south as a bunch of swamps and alligators and if we get hit by a storm, well, it doesn't really matter much, but if a storm should hit the northeast ...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,784,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's kind of funny to watch the media coverage of this storm. I sometimes get the impression that in the view of national media outlets, a storm isn't really a storm unless it hits New York or New Jersey. It's almost like they view the south as a bunch of swamps and alligators and if we get hit by a storm, well, it doesn't really matter much, but if a storm should hit the northeast ...

I was thinking the same thing ... ABC news is in such heaven.

I bet if a Katrina type storm roared ashore in DC or NYC the response would have been vastly different ... parts of Staten Island and Manhattan are barely above sea level. Be interesting to see if the subways flood.

Frank

Old 08-26-2011, 12:41 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,084,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
parts of Staten Island and Manhattan are barely above sea level. Be interesting to see if the subways flood.
A Facebook friend of mine in NYC said they are saying that flooding in the subways (likely, I think) could bring thousands of RATS up to the streets...!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,740,727 times
Quote:
Just the thought of evacuating NYC makes me scared. The truth is, the whole island is a death trap.

It feels like the day before a Snow Day! Guess I'll stay home with hot cocoa tomorrow....

Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,221,613 times
A friend of mine lives in Manhattan's Zone B, just a *smidge* over the line from Zone A and she tells me that there's a mandatory evacuation order for the elderly and infirm in the area.

It's just a wee bit scary.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM

8,823 posts, read 9,682,043 times
Quote:
That's mainly because people in NY/NJ are sooooo iunprepared for a hurricane. When I told someone I was moving to Raleigh her response was "you're crazy, do you want to get with hurricanes?" Meanwhile she lives in a flood zone on Long Island. When I pointed this out to her, her response was "we'll never get a hurricane". Oh, OK.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM

2,970 posts, read 4,271,414 times
Quote:

yea, check what SK observed from the national media:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Someone today on one of the national channels was referring to path going over inner banks was nothing but swamp lands then quickly went on reporting on new england's hurricane threat.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 211,929 times
Bathtubs to fill. If we aren't on well water would we still need to fill them up as a precaution? I tried to call the water company to ask but I called at 5:02pm and was too late.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,784,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
Bathtubs to fill. If we aren't on well water would we still need to fill them up as a precaution? I tried to call the water company to ask but I called at 5:02pm and was too late.
Doubtful. The problem with individual wells is that when the power fails the pump fails.
You don't have that problem.

Frank

Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM

8,274 posts, read 11,740,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
Bathtubs to fill. If we aren't on well water would we still need to fill them up as a precaution?
Frank already answered. I would just add that if you are on a shared well (in addition to those on an individual private well) you might want to do this also. City services shouldn't be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary