Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which outdoor items are you moving inside to prep for Irene?
Nothing at all - I'll wait til the last possible minute and decide later 32 50.00%
I might move small or light items in, but most of my stuff is staying out 16 25.00%
I plan to move most of my moveable outdoor items inside 13 20.31%
Everything not bolted down 3 4.69%
The whole kitchen sink, even window screens! 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times

Advertisements

I need to go out of town, and plan to return home late Saturday night. I have to decide before I go which items, if any, to move indoors. So I pose this question to my pals here at C-D - in the form of a poll. Let's see your answers. I plan to begin my actions after work tonight at around 5pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I wait until the last possible minute, but if I were going out of town until Saturday and wouldn't have the opportunity to wait until the last minute, I'd probably take a few minutes and put away a few things. Just look around your deck and yard and thing about whether or not it could become projectile. I move lawn chairs, flower pots, deck umbrellas, awnings, loose yard toys and gardening stuff (rakes etc).

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I wait until the last possible minute, but if I were going out of town until Saturday and wouldn't have the opportunity to wait until the last minute, I'd probably take a few minutes and put away a few things. Just look around your deck and yard and thing about whether or not it could become projectile. I move lawn chairs, flower pots, deck umbrellas, awnings, loose yard toys and gardening stuff (rakes etc).
Right, I'm from Miami and lived through Andrew, so I'm aware of what to look for, but the main idea was to see how others around the Triangle are preparing to get a notion of the overall gut feeling around here.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Not really what what you asked, but in terms of prep I'd also turn off the water and gas lines.

Frank

Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Gas seems like it would not be necessary. Water, questionable. They're both underground. Why do you say this, Frank?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
No plans to do anything at all. Every update pushes the storm further and further out into the Atlantic. If I was on Cape Cod I might be thinking about making plans. Not here though.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Gas seems like it would not be necessary. Water, questionable. They're both underground. Why do you say this, Frank?
Only because you're leaving your house. Say a tree falls on the house and breaks a water line. For gas, I'm more concerned about propane. Lots of energy in those tanks. It would be dumb luck, but sometimes that's the kind you get ... We turn off our water every time we spend a night away.
Not a big deal, but no harm done by turning them off either?

Frank

Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Nothing but if I were going away I might bring lighter items inside. It's not looking like we'll get much of anything here. Hopefully some rain.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Only because you're leaving your house. Say a tree falls on the house and breaks a water line. For gas, I'm more concerned about propane. Lots of energy in those tanks. It would be dumb luck, but sometimes that's the kind you get ... We turn off our water every time we spend a night away.
Not a big deal, but no harm done by turning them off either?

Frank
Propane, sure, gotcha. I have LNG, no worries there. And my family will still be here.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Propane, sure, gotcha. I have LNG, no worries there. And my family will still be here.
Ah, then leave the water on - they'll appreciate that ...

Safe trip,

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary