Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 21,246 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all of the replies, and information - we hope this thread helps others avoid these conditions which would have made us very upset homeowners - had we gone to Raleigh/Cary.

We thought we might mention that the same ex-schoolteacher who broke the news to us about redistricting, had also said that the "Magnet" program was set to be phased out this year - Can anyone confirm, deny or otherwise elaborate on this for those considering the Wake County School system?

We were also made aware that the Wake County School system has begun whole year schooling in certain schools... which means 9 weeks of school followed by a 3 week break. Yet another nail in the school system's coffin for us.

Thanks again -

If you can be flexible on North Carolina, we liked the Charlotte area (the parts that don't "bus", of course) - espeically Ballantyne & Matthews.

NNY_Escapees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM

353 posts, read 993,655 times
nyy,

Some magnets (I don't know their names, you may be able to find more if you search the archives at the News&Observer and the education blogs there -- as it was discussed only a week or two ago) are being stripped of their magnet status.

I am also unaware if any other schools which might benefit from a magnet are being considered for one. I would assume that will be on the school board's agenda in the near future (if not already).

Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,056,054 times
There are only 4 schools which will no longer be magnets in future (out of I don't knnow...maybe 40?) and eventually, new ones will open up. The magnet program is on no way being phased out and is still recognized nationally as one of the best magnet programs in the country. And yes, we have some year round schools here which are currently optional.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:01 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,646,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nny_escapees View Post
Thanks again for all of the replies, and information - we hope this thread helps others avoid these conditions which would have made us very upset homeowners - had we gone to Raleigh/Cary.

We thought we might mention that the same ex-schoolteacher who broke the news to us about redistricting, had also said that the "Magnet" program was set to be phased out this year - Can anyone confirm, deny or otherwise elaborate on this for those considering the Wake County School system?

We were also made aware that the Wake County School system has begun whole year schooling in certain schools... which means 9 weeks of school followed by a 3 week break. Yet another nail in the school system's coffin for us.

Thanks again -

If you can be flexible on North Carolina, we liked the Charlotte area (the parts that don't "bus", of course) - espeically Ballantyne & Matthews.

NNY_Escapees
You've heard some rather incorrect information. The Magnets are not all going. Just a few that were they felt was were not diverse enough. (Great schools such as Wake Forest elementary, where my daughter went. Not enough low income kids in the area to 'justify' it's magnet status...which is a shame, but I am sure, knowing the staff and teachers, that it will continue to be a great school.)

As others have said, others many open, and the core magnets in the downtown area are not going anywhere.

Year around works for many parents...even those that think they are going to hate it.

Personally, I have a SIL that lived in Charlotte and I couldn't believe what she went through with the schools down there. I'll take Wake County's challenges over that mess any day.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,040,425 times
Desdemona, what's going on with Charlotte schools? You know you can't say something like that & just leave us hanging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary