Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 23,066 times

Advertisements

I have been reading up on NC specifically this area and had some questions:

Where is the most liberal or "trendy" areas, trendy meaning, heavily tattooed ppl, artsy, so-ho'ish, open-minded, lots of stuff do to, a bit faster way of life etc?
I'm not insinuating that ppl are judgemental, ppl are like that everywhere.
I'm looking for something like what we are in now, if my company relocates us I need to know what were moving into.

Also schooling:
Has anyone seen or experienced schools for Autistic children or Aspbergers syndrome?
What were your experiences like: Postive and Negative?

What have been your experiences with local hospitals?
Especially children or cancer patients in hospitals?

We may be relocating from NYC, my wife has lived in FL in the past.
Also So Cal.
So I found that post helpful.

Bugs don't bother obviously FL had many.. thank god for screens. lol.
Do most places offer screened in balconies/patios?

Hope this is specific enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I'd look to Inside-the-Beltline or Downtown Raleigh, Carrboro, and close to downtown areas of Durham.

There are some very large, well respected hospitals in the area.

Screen porches are somewhat common on houses. Much less common on apartments.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

Screen porches are somewhat common on houses. Much less common on apartments.

My wife handles bugs, I scream like a girl and run the other way, so maybe a rental house is more what we need.
Thank you for your response
I will look into that area.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I'd probably look into areas of downtown Durham or Carborro as well. I have no direct experience with this, but I have only heard wonderful things about Duke's children's medical center.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,327 times
Duke has one of the best cancer centers in the world, and the children's hospital there and at UNC are also considered the same.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Agree with the living suggestions made by Dire Wolf - I'm living in nice shiny PLASTIC Cary and have never fit it. Ah, but it's safe and the schools are good
There is an excellent resource for Austism/Apsergers - the UNC Teech program and best of all it is FREE to NC residents.

Chapel Hill TEACCH Center (http://www.teacch.com/regionalcenters/chapelhill/welcome.html - broken link)

I had my daughter evaluated there and they were fabulous (she is on the spectrum but not quite severe enough to warrant the full diagnosis of Asperger's)

Good luck!

quote=strooberri;1277916]I have been reading up on NC specifically this area and had some questions:

Where is the most liberal or "trendy" areas, trendy meaning, heavily tattooed ppl, artsy, so-ho'ish, open-minded, lots of stuff do to, a bit faster way of life etc?
I'm not insinuating that ppl are judgemental, ppl are like that everywhere.
I'm looking for something like what we are in now, if my company relocates us I need to know what were moving into.

Also schooling:
Has anyone seen or experienced schools for Autistic children or Aspbergers syndrome?
What were your experiences like: Postive and Negative?

What have been your experiences with local hospitals?
Especially children or cancer patients in hospitals?

We may be relocating from NYC, my wife has lived in FL in the past.
Also So Cal.
So I found that post helpful.

Bugs don't bother obviously FL had many.. thank god for screens. lol.
Do most places offer screened in balconies/patios?

Hope this is specific enough.[/quote]

Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
I think you'd want to check out Durham and Carrboro. Carrboro is a village, so you won't get an urban experience there, but it is full of hipster (and hippie) types. Problem is, it and Chapel Hill have both become really expensive, so the people who gave these communities their lively vibe (artists, musicians, etc), are having a harder time affording it. It's still cool, but I like the energy in Durham much more. If restaurants matter to you, Durham is where most of the innovative new chefs are cooking and opening restaurants. Chapel Hill/Carrboro has more in the way of live music clubs, but Durham is making some strides.

As for schools for kids with Autism/Aspergers, I know of the Hill Center in Durham (The Hill Center - Durham, NC (http://www.hillcenter.org/index.cfm - broken link)). Other than that, I understand that the public schools in Chapel Hill/Carrboro are well-known for their education of autistic children. People have been known to move here from wide-flung parts of the country to have their kids attend these schools.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Don't forget the hipster-wanna-be types. Plenty of those, too

Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,762 times
Default Carrboro

I'd say Carrboro sounds like the best overall fit for what you're looking for.

As a side note, Carrboro borders Chapel Hill, where UNC is located. The UNC hospital recently rec'd funding from the state legislature to create a premier cancer treatment and research facility. Essentially, UNC will be one of the top 5 cancer centers in the US.

fwiw,
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary