U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

37 posts, read 16,594 times
GSK?

Funny. A couple of good friends of mine were just laid off at GSK last week.

One was an IT type, one was in the R&D area.

FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,110,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer45 View Post
GSK?

FYI.
Good point. I'm former GSK and I would make sure the OP's family take a good hard look at this offer and consider whether there are other employment options in the area as GSK has been in a cyclical layoff & downsizing mode for quite a few years now.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycookiestl View Post
Thanks for all the great information. My concerns about Durham is solely schools and violence. I would love diversity and all the festivals. As a point of reference, I have lived in Boston and St. Louis and observed both school districts and would never want my children to attend the regular schools (non-magnet schools) there. I tutored a girl in middle school in Boston who was still studying the American Revolution in a US History class in April! And St. Louis schools aren't even accredited by the state they perform so poorly.

I know in the forums people have said something to the effect that the test scores are similar to other districts based on race, etc. However, I would be very concerned if a large proportion of the students (thinking esp. in middle/high school) had a bad attitude, low respect, low achievement and didn't care, classes were very far behind or poorly managed, even if my kids did well in honors classes, etc. Socially, it just seems risky for any kid if that is the environment they are in every day. Are Durham schools like this from what people have observed?

I would much rather have my kids in schools in Wake County with frequent reassignments if Durham schools are like what I am worried about. I don't think we can afford Orange County and am not sure what we can afford in Cary for 250k, though. Thanks for the thoughts.
Violence in Durham is not unlike violence in Raleigh/Wake Cty...you can seek it out but it probably isn't going to seek you out. Most of the violence in Durham is concentrated in a few select areas/neighborhoods. Durham is safer than most other cities its size in the southeast, including Charlotte, Greensboro, Fayetteville, Winston-Salem, etc... Crime issues in Durham are vastly overblown and are largely based on outdated sterotypes that go back 15 years or more when it was a bit more dangerous.

Schools: no, it's not like you suggested. There may be a few schools within the district where situations like that are found, but as a rule that's not the case at all. Both Riverside and Jordan High Schools in Durham are very well regarded and often fare quite well on top national high school rankings. We moved to Durham County from Wake in part FOR the schools and are generally quite happy with what we've found so far in our second year in Durham Public Schools.

Another thing that can't be emphasized enough is what an engaged and involved community Durham is. When I lived in Raleigh, I felt like a citizen in a city and little more (and this was the cit where I went to high school and college). Within a few months of Durham, I felt like an active member of a community where I could affect change.

It really is a great place to live...now if only we could eliminate 100 degree days and humidity!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,251,120 times
What part of Durham do you live in mdp_az?

We're considering moving to Durham a few years down the road since I work in Durham but I really don't know much outside of the Duke area.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
What part of Durham do you live in mdp_az?

We're considering moving to Durham a few years down the road since I work in Durham but I really don't know much outside of the Duke area.
We live in NW Durham off of Rose of Sharon Rd. We border Eno River State Park and it feels like our neighborhood is out in the country, but it only takes 10 minutes or so to get to Duke, downtown, etc... and only 3 minutes to the grocery store, pharmacy and restaurants! It's a great place to live!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM

334 posts, read 343,746 times
Dont be afraid of northern Wake Forest. We bought recently near Hawthorne, but are closer to Capitol Blvd. I leave just before 7am and commute to RTP, Davis Drive area, and it's a joyride (except for the tailgaters - whats up with those people?) And thats coming from a guy from Jersey

Commute time is 35-40 minutes. I never had a 20 minute commute, so doesnt bother me. And we love the area. Just far enough north that you're out of the busy shopping, but close enough if you need them.

I gotta say, we are very happy here. Good luck to you, Read...read...read on this forum, thats what I did.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 AM

306 posts, read 170,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer45 View Post
GSK?

FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Good point. I'm former GSK and I would make sure the OP's family take a good hard look at this offer and consider whether there are other employment options in the area as GSK has been in a cyclical layoff & downsizing mode for quite a few years now.
It used to be that people were constantly discouraged from moving to the Triangle without jobs on this forum. Now it looks like even if you have a job waiting you might be passively-aggressively discouraged.

What's next? If you have a job, quit and move away before you get laid off?

"I know a guy who knows a guy who heard about another guy" advice should be tossed out entirely.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

2,070 posts, read 3,618,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
It used to be that people were constantly discouraged from moving to the Triangle without jobs on this forum. Now it looks like even if you have a job waiting you might be passively-aggressively discouraged.

"I know a guy who knows a guy who heard about another guy" advice should be tossed out entirely.
Like many Internet forums the advice given is often worth about what you pay for it.
In my case, sometimes less.

But, surely, you know that?
The job market is in flux. GSK hires and RIFs on an almost continuing basis. Nothing more, nothing less.

Frank

Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

There's nothing passive-aggressive about this. I just know from first-hand experience what the situation is at GSK and want to make sure the OP has that knowledge before making such a big move. When interviewing candidates, companies generally don't talk a lot about all the bad stuff but rather try to sugar coat things as much as possible. Next year, GSK's biggest selling product in the US loses its patent and the company is at risk for losing billions (with a B) in revenue from generic competition. Once that hits, the workforce reductions at GSK will likely accelerate.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM

334 posts, read 343,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
There's nothing passive-aggressive about this. I just know from first-hand experience what the situation is at GSK and want to make sure the OP has that knowledge before making such a big move......
Taking into account any information from a source is always a good idea. But this sort of thing could happen anywhere, anytime I believe and you have to make your decision with all the info gathered, then as Jerry Seinfeld stated... "you close your eyes and hope for the best"

That's how I handled my own situation recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary