Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times

Advertisements

Anyone with personal knowledge of flood prone areas mentioned above? We'll be up later on this year to start looking for a place to relocate and I'd like to eliminate areas known to be flood prone. I'll use whatever other resources I can get my hands on (FEMA records, 100 year flood zone surveys, insurance companies, etc) that should be available rather easily, however, I was seeking personal experience/information from those who have or are currently living in areas that have to deal with this issue. Hope all of you made it out okay after Irene. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Anyone with personal knowledge of flood prone areas mentioned above? We'll be up later on this year to start looking for a place to relocate and I'd like to eliminate areas known to be flood prone. I'll use whatever other resources I can get my hands on (FEMA records, 100 year flood zone surveys, insurance companies, etc) that should be available rather easily, however, I was seeking personal experience/information from those who have or are currently living in areas that have to deal with this issue. Hope all of you made it out okay after Irene. Thanks.
Flood prone areas are widespread, and quite common, so it is nearly impossible to give you a helpful list.
It is typical to go into a neighborhood, and find that a few properties are flood prone. Homes on one side of a street may be high and dry, while the other side of the street backs to flood prone areas.
Commonly, developers draw subdivision maps to skirt flood plains, but changes in mapping can alter the exposure.
North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program is a great resource.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Flood prone areas are widespread, and quite common, so it is nearly impossible to give you a helpful list.
It is typical to go into a neighborhood, and find that a few properties are flood prone. Homes on one side of a street may be high and dry, while the other side of the street backs to flood prone areas.
Commonly, developers draw subdivision maps to skirt flood plains, but changes in mapping can alter the exposure.
North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program is a great resource.
Thank you!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
In addition, due to the growth our area experiences...you might want to check out DOT maps, and Wake Forest and or Raleigh growth plans etc... Know that if you buy near open land or roads, there may well be 5, 10 yr or so plans to add or widen roads, or bring in something you wouldn't want to live near. It happened to me once.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times
I AM LOOKING TO RELOCATE IN THE NEXT 6 MONTHS--I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD SEND ME SOME INFO ON ANY FLOODING IN THE AREAS OF (CARY,APEX OR WAKEFOREST) THANK YOU AND I W/BE LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU [email]ellensach@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
A practical approach is to determine whether the property flooded during Hurricanes Fran (1996) and Floyd (1999). In terms of rainfall, those two were about as bad as it's likely to get. Of course, if the property or nearby properties have been reshaped since then, all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary