Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
why did I open this thread and look at these yucky snakes? now my tummy hurts...I'm sorry , I don't do snakes
LOL, That's how I feel whenever someone posts a "what kind of spider is this" thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Here's one of many great websites to help you become more confident identifying copperheads vs other non-venomous snakes. It also has a really, really good quiz showing pictures of copperheads and other snakes.

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsoc...copperhead.htm

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsoc...rhead-test.htm
Great info. The copperhead is the only snake with the trademark "hour glass"shaped markings across the back. It makes them easy to identify along with the copper colored head.

Now....maybe someone can figure out how to enlarge that snake so it can be properly identified

Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
My bet is a young black (rat) snake. They look like that but go "black" as they mature.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM

95 posts, read 131,254 times
Copperheads have been out in full force in my neighborhood lately. Just saw a big one tonight on the road while walking my dogs. Fortunately, the homeowner was walking to his mailbox at the time, so I alerted him to it and he killed it with a shovel.

If I see a snake on the road in the day time, it is usually a black snake or gray/brown snake. However, if I see a snake on the road in the late evening/night, it is almost always a copperhead. I guess they just like the dark. Not very cool though when you are in the routine of walking your dogs at night.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
My bet is a young black (rat) snake. They look like that but go "black" as they mature.
I agree 100%. I used to keep black snakes as a kid and that is exactly what they look like before maturation.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
I occasionally hear that some neighbor or another killed a copperhead, or that someone saw a copperhead. In the four years we've been here (oops - I'm outside the Triangle), I've never seen a copperhead, though I spend time outdoors in pasture, yard, and woods. I've seen corn snakes, black rat snakes, black racers, garter snakes, green snakes, and other snakes. Everyone else sees copperheads. (Once the copperhead was actually a rope.)

My conclusion:Toot's links would be very helpful to my neighbors.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Not the greatest photo, but I really do not think that is a poisonous snake. Wrong color for a copperhead - I have seen many - they have brown, bronze, copper, burnt red colors to it, and of course a rattler has a rattler. Not sure what it is but 99 percent sure it is not poisonous

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 280,336 times
Yes, normally Copperheads are going to be found in old piles off wood/leaves that you have left through a winter b/c its a great place for them to wait out the winter, as well as hunt mice. While their bite is poisonous, you have to either be a very small child, or just ignore it, in order for the venom to kill you.

I know every year my dad comes to a pile brush he has neglected, he usually just rakes everything away from it, then sets fire to it. One year, our neighbors had this giant pile of wood they hadn't moved in 3 years... it was leftover wood from Hurricane Fran. They decided to move it one summer day. Next thing we know, we just start hearing shotgun blasts... turns out an entire den of copperheads was in there... something like 15 snakes or so.

If you live near water, Cottonmouths are always a problem... and they are aggressive. If you come across one, slowly back away... do not try to scare it off because they will stand their ground and sometimes chase you. Happened to me once at moore's creek... scared the ever living **** out of me too.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Many snakes are nocturnal, including copperheads. A friend of mine stepped on one a couple of nights ago, luckily not getting bit. He took his dog out, and stepped on it with flip flops on. Went back with a hoe and killed it. He got lucky. And yes, snakes, especially copperheads live brush piles, firewood stacks, and rocks. My next door neighbor has killed a couple of copperheads this summer, in a rockpile in his backyard. I've been lucky, and haven't seen a copperhead in many years.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
My Snake-Of-What-Kind of meters needle is barely moving when I scan the probe over the picture. Bit to small to register I suppose and being the snake did not move when lifted my one of a kind Snake-Of-What-Kind of meter is worthless....bummer! I 'shed' some 'skin' to buy this too and the seller did not appear in anyway to be a 'Snake oil' salesman either! So, sorry I could not be of any help in identifying this snake-in-a-driveway variety reptile!

I do have to admit I am much better at catching the dead variety Snake-in-the Driveway varieties anyway! So I shall just 'slither' back in this Forum for the next passing snake picture to try my Snake-Of-What-Kind Meter! May the tongue of the forked one be with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary