U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband has accepted a job based out of Knightdale NC, so we are looking to relocate from the midwest. We have two children - one in high school and one in middle school - and have heard that the Raleigh school system leaves quite a bit to be desired. Does anyone have any suggestions of nearby communities with good public schools, safe neighborhoods and that isn't much more than 20 or 30 miles from Knightdale? We have briefly explored Clayton, NC. Any advice about that location? Also I am wondering about home prices. Are there single family homes available for around $150,000 that aren't crammed in between two close neighboring houses? A little land would be nice too, say a half acre or so. Am I dreaming and stuck in my midwest mentality, or are these things a possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,153,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larajones View Post
Hello. My husband has accepted a job based out of Knightdale NC, so we are looking to relocate from the midwest. We have two children - one in high school and one in middle school - and have heard that the Raleigh school system leaves quite a bit to be desired. Does anyone have any suggestions of nearby communities with good public schools, safe neighborhoods and that isn't much more than 20 or 30 miles from Knightdale? We have briefly explored Clayton, NC. Any advice about that location? Also I am wondering about home prices. Are there single family homes available for around $150,000 that aren't crammed in between two close neighboring houses? A little land would be nice too, say a half acre or so. Am I dreaming and stuck in my midwest mentality, or are these things a possibility?
Wow - the board is dead. My wife and I are empty nesters who moved to Clayton a little over a year ago. Therefore, I have no first hand experience with regard to schools, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Johnston Co. schools in Clayton. I heard where Clayton was rated as one of the top low cost housing locations in the country with good schools - one of those business magazine articles. Further, you are only about 15 min. from Knightdale, but away from the Raleigh congestion out here. Suggest you check out Clayon. There are a lot of inexpensive (or luxury) housing options out here, depending on your situation.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,986,575 times
Knightdale also has good variety of reasonable priced homes, old and new. it is is very safe place to live. It's a great time to buy in Knightdale as when the economy picks up it is the only area left close to Raleigh with significant land to develop. Check out Planter's Walk and numerous other subdivisions. If you do not want to live in Knightdale you can check out Wake Forest which border Knightdale on the Northern end. There is also Wendell the next town to the east. It's a lovely older town, very safe, nice family place. My child is in Wendell MS and loves it. Friends who have their kids there have been pleased with the school. I live in Knightdale proper and lived in Raleigh prior (since 74). I have seen Wake Co grow, areas come up and go down. I like Knightdale as it feels like a small town with friendly people, a sense of community and yet close to downtown Raleigh for theater and nightlife. We have a nice little community center, a local soccer league (East Wake), a small Farmer's Market, plans for a amphitheater. I feel very safe here and love the small town feeling. Knightdale HS get's a bad rap as there is a very small element of kids who have had issues. Many schools in Wake Co have the same issues. The school has turned out some stellar students and now is a STEM school so they will have even better offerings. See www.wcpss.net for info on STEM. Wake Co schools are fine but there is a lot of misinformation out there...it is hard for newcomers to figure it all out. Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,986,575 times
PS - traffic is a piece of cake here! You will be hard pressed to find anywhere in Raleigh, Cary or Clayton with as light a traffic flow as we have here. At one time it was rough going E on 64E business. But now that we have the 64 bypass and I-540, traffic is easy to navigate. I drive all over the triangle for my job and my area is by far the easiest to get around with fewest delays. You won't know for sure unless you come check it out. See for yourself Clayton is fine, an option for sure however, why move further south when you could live in knightdale and be closer to the malls (North Hills, Triangle Town, Crabtree) as well as downtown for theater?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,153,377 times
Here is the link from Business Week regarding Clayton zip 27527 (which is closest to Knighdale BTW)

The Best Schools in the Most Affordable Zip Code Codes: Rank: 10 - BusinessWeek

Again, nothing wrong with Knightdale, but frequenting both places (Clayton/Knightdale) I prefer Clayton, mostly because Clayton is away from the Raleigh metroplex, but yet still close. You can live north or east of Knightdale out of the chaos as well, and I will say 64 in Knightdale does give you close by shopping and dining options that Clayton does not. Suggest touring both areas.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM

10,395 posts, read 17,844,855 times
I'd suggest Clayton, as well.

Wake County Schools are not nearly as bad as what you read. As a matter of fact, Wake County Schools has won many awards. But...I don't want to get into a negative thread about the schools.

Whenever I have clients that want some land, the best place to go is Clayton! And, since Johnston County Schools have improved tremendously in the last 8 years, you may be happier with the schools there, as well.

I've had 4 kids, my last one just graduated from Wake County. Middle and High Schools are different than when I went to school. It is almost like two schools in one. For example...if your student takes honors and excellerated classes, they are in with a very different group than the students that are only taking the basics.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM

7,645 posts, read 10,354,332 times
Another suggestion 4 Clayton. My wife and I lived there for about a year 9we moved when I changed jobs) and LOVED it there. We were between Flowers Plantation and Wilson's Mills off Buffalo.

Also the corner of Johnston County near Wendell is ok. It is more rural, but there is a new high school--Corinth Holders. If you look arouns, you should find a very nice place with 1-3 acres for your budget. Of course it will not be in town, but it will not be too far either.

We had a very nice place we rented on Clark Pond Road that was just over an acre, 3 beedroom 1200 square foot. You will quickly find Clayton is an easy commute to K-dale, Raleigh and the outlet mall in Smithfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary