U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

186 posts, read 405,426 times

Advertisements

I don't drive so walkeable or at least bicyleable would be best. Oh and am looking to buy so lowest cost with those factors figured in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM

4,598 posts, read 8,632,668 times
Depends what you want to be able to walk to.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,821,791 times
what's your budget? do you work? if so, where? kids? interests? Please give us more to go on.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM

701 posts, read 1,478,663 times
Seems there are lots of threads and posts about safe and sketchy neighborhoods in Durham and Raleigh.

As to walkable, you can walk anywhere you want. Bicycle too. Pull up Google maps of Raleigh and Durham. At a certain level, you will be able to see what stores are on which streets. Chose the stores you want to be near, then check the crime stats page to see if the level/type of crime in that neighborhood is acceptable.

Best way is to come visit and see for yourself.

But I bet you've seen that advice before.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
"Lowest" cost is not going to be a safe area anywhere. You'll need to give some estimate of what you can afford and what specific things you need to be near. Job? School?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM

186 posts, read 405,426 times
Job location isn't an issue. What I'm most concerned with is being able to ride my bike to where I want to go and not be assaulted going from A to B. As for cost, well maybe what to ask is what areas are safe and which are NOT. I see Raleigh is more expensive so that makes Durham more appealing. I'm looking to buy something inexpensive, maybe that needs some work, but not with the electrical wiring and copper pipes torn out lol.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 AM

542 posts, read 1,333,974 times
99% of both Raleigh and Cary are "safe". The last violent crime I read about on wral in either city was a robbery of a Red Lobster on a Sunday morning in the Crossroads area in Cary. Crime happens everywhere and even in the "higher" crime areas most of that crime is criminal on criminal or occurs between two people that know each other.

Michael

Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 AM

520 posts, read 852,756 times
Seriously, it would be easier & much shorter to list the less safe areas than try to list all the safe areas. As MikeNC29 said, most the area is just fine.

You might want to check the RAIDS website for any particular neighborhood you look at. Durham participates so you can see crime listings by type for a period of time.
RAIDS Online - Free Public Crime Mapping and Analysis

As for walking/biking, I haven't seen many bike trails/lanes around Durham, but I do often see folks riding bikes on the regular streets w/no issues. I know in a lot of neighborhoods there are not sidewalks, or if there are they are w/in the community only & don't connect outside to say the next development 1/4 mile down the road.

I feel Durham has a good bus system -- at least from N. Durham & around downtown where we live & work, so I would assume it is equally good across all of Durham.
Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://data.durhamnc.gov/schedules.cfm - broken link)

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM

57 posts, read 96,127 times
Like any higher density city, Durham has its share of property crime but assaults are not that common and tend to be focused in certain areas. There is a great resource called the Crimemapper and you can check out any area and the incidents of crime there: Durham Police Department.

With the MLK Parkway you can bike from virtually anywhere in Durham south of I-85 to Research Triangle Park, and there are lots of great in-town neighborhoods. DM me with your criteria if you want more specific information.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 AM

840 posts, read 3,005,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post

I feel Durham has a good bus system -- at least from N. Durham & around downtown where we live & work, so I would assume it is equally good across all of Durham.
Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://data.durhamnc.gov/schedules.cfm - broken link)
I think your assumption isn't quite so accurate. If you live downtown or in some of the older hoods built around the existing bus service, you're in a good situation for buses, but other areas can have sparse to non-existent service.

Questions about Public Transportation in N. Durham

FTR, I have taken DATA in Durham as I had no car when I moved here. I did get around, but most of the time it took practically the whole day for a stop to one or two locations.

Last edited by mia78; 08-31-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary