U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM

2,111 posts, read 4,053,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okimike23 View Post
Could someone please give me some advice?

I have an LG HDTV with the cable coaxial wire connected to my cable outlet and use the TVs onboard tuner. I receive all broadcasted channels for the Cary area.

About four months ago (maybe longer) WTVD-11 dropped off my HDTV television reception. I have rescanned the channels multiple times and all channels are received except channel-11. I did not worry about this becasue I watch so little TV--but now with football season starting I want to watch channel 11.

Can anyone help me with my issue?

Thanks
So I read this as you watch the local channels via TW. Is so, you should be receiving WTVD as part of your cable service. Most of the answers here relate to over the air antenna issues with the high VHF WTVD signal. If you have TW services this is not the problem.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM
WDJ

285 posts, read 413,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
So I read this as you watch the local channels via TW. Is so, you should be receiving WTVD as part of your cable service. Most of the answers here relate to over the air antenna issues with the high VHF WTVD signal. If you have TW services this is not the problem.

Frank
I don't think you quite understand what the issue is. I have the same issue as the OP out here in Chapel Hill. With Time Warner (and most other cable networks), if you plug your cable coax into the QAM tuner of an HDTV, you can receive the unencrypted HD signal for local channels w/o needing a digital cable box. A few months ago, TWC fiddled around with the frequency for the digital broadcast of ABC, and in some places, they dropped it. The SD version of the signal still comes across analog and can still be watched.

I've rescanned a few times without any luck, so in the end, I plugged in an antenna into my TV's antenna port and switch to OTA mode whenever I want to watch ABC.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
I don't think you quite understand what the issue is. I have the same issue as the OP out here in Chapel Hill. With Time Warner (and most other cable networks), if you plug your cable coax into the QAM tuner of an HDTV, you can receive the unencrypted HD signal for local channels w/o needing a digital cable box. A few months ago, TWC fiddled around with the frequency for the digital broadcast of ABC, and in some places, they dropped it. The SD version of the signal still comes across analog and can still be watched.

I've rescanned a few times without any luck, so in the end, I plugged in an antenna into my TV's antenna port and switch to OTA mode whenever I want to watch ABC.
Nope. TW is required to provide the local stations without encryption so a QAM tuner in an HD set should be sufficient . They do move the channel assignments around quite frequently and as you mention a rescan is then required.

Just for you, I just "labored" upstairs on this Labor Day to our exercise room, strolled past the treadmill and turned on the HD TV we have connected to a straight coax connection. WTVD HD popped on.

So I'm guessing that either TW has a problem, or your TV hasn't found the channel assignment via the scan.

TWC does still show WTVD HD as part of the Broadcast package (see "channel" 1111):

http://www.timewarnercable.com/east/...ge1=&Zip=27613

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 09-05-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,083,291 times
I wasn't getting 11.1, the UNC HD's and others. After rescanning, I got them back...plus more. Thanks for waking me up

Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM

849 posts, read 869,280 times
Must-carry is a complex topic. There are many exclusions and exceptions, some of which are triggered by the stations themselves. Suggest you call WTVD and ask to speak to their chief engineer, who probably knows the exact situation.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM

8,528 posts, read 12,729,565 times
I thought the pass-through requirement for local stations was simply that the cable systems must provide an unencrypted analog signal as part of the conversion to digital - not a requirement to provide a digital (including HD) signal. Historically TWC has provided such a signal (HD) but I didn't think they were required to do so.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM

9,089 posts, read 18,905,049 times
This is interesting. I have the EXACT TV and setup "I have an LG HDTV with the cable coaxial wire connected to my cable outlet and use the TVs onboard tuner" ... and I get ABC in HD on 11.1 no problem here in North Raleigh.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I thought the pass-through requirement for local stations was simply that the cable systems must provide an unencrypted analog signal as part of the conversion to digital - not a requirement to provide a digital (including HD) signal. Historically TWC has provided such a signal (HD) but I didn't think they were required to do so.
Yep. Carriage may be analog or digital at the cable operators discretion. Analog and digital networks like TW may carry just analog. Digital only systems like FioS can carry only digital.
As TWC advertises WTVD HD as part of their Broadcast tier - than the SD only signal WDJ mentions is not acceptable and a QAM tuner equipped HDTV should receive the WTVD HD signal.

For some reason, TW makes this difficult with the channel reassignments and subsequent need to rescan to find the signal.

Frank

Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM
WDJ

285 posts, read 413,478 times
Did a rescan last night on the 2 HDTVs I have and once again I had no luck. While it works for you guys over in Raleigh, just remember that it can be hit or miss in other areas. I looked up the frequency assignments on Channels Welcome to SiliconDust, which indicates that I should be able to find WTVD on 99-1, but for some people's scans listed on there, they have no luck with finding WTVD either.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:43 PM

576 posts, read 708,971 times
Strange - I live in W. Raleigh and WTVD channel 11 is the ONLY station that I can get 100% reliably with my indoor rabbit ears. Pretty much no matter where I point the antenna, it comes in well.

Usually I can adjust the antenna and get reception that only occasionally breaks up for most of the other channels. WRAL is the worst, though, no matter what I do unless the stars are aligned perfectly I can't get WRAL without the video breaking up for a bit every 5-10 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary