Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM

228 posts, read 800,486 times

Advertisements

Yes you can do it. My wife and I were grad students when we met. We started off small, I had a small condo near school and we were both grad students so that was about the same salary. Now, mind you we did not have children. Look into childcare at Duke, I think there is something there. Not sure if postdocs are eligable.

But yeah my wife and I were pretty happy, we didn't have the responsibilities that we do now, life was somehow less stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,680,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
This is a highly exaggerated statement. I am standing completely upright as I type this.

Personal property tax is assessed yearly on your vehicle. It typically runs between 1 to 1.25 percent of the current value of your vehicle. Got a $10,000 car? Your tax will be $125 or less. It is deductible if you itemize.

If you PURCHASE a vehicle here in NC you are charged a "road use" tax of 3% on the purchase price, NOT a sales tax which in NY runs 8 to 9 percent.

A long way from "bent over" IMO. Cheers!
You also pay the road use tax when you transfer registration of a car from out of state to NC. I thought it was the worlds most expensive license plate, but I was assured I would not have to pay it again for that car! The gal at the DMV was clearly anticipating my reaction.

OMG, i was so busy amusing myself I forgot to say: I make about that much and there are 3 in my family. I'm willing to bet my 14 year old eats as much as your wife and baby combined! It is definitely Do-able. In fact, people who make more should try really hard to live on that much and bank the rest!

Still lots better than the school/property/income taxes I paid in NY, and at least it pays for a road I actually use, rather than taxes in NY state which get flushed down a toilet in NYC.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,239,780 times
Yeah you can, Today anyway, but be careful because according to experts, we are destined to go into a deflationary spiral then go directly into hyper inflation. You do not want to take any unnecessary changes or spread yourself too thin for the next couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary