Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
The problem I had with the express busing is the timing of the busing at an express stop is sporadic at best (because of traffic, etc etc) and then they just dump the kids and LEAVE to get to the next stop. so you have K-12 dumped off at some school somewhere where this is no adult or anyone around to make sure the child is safe. NO idea how they get away with this considering the bus driver cannot let a K off at a bus stop without an adult picking up. but they assume abandoned school grounds are OKAY to leave a child? hmm.
Our experience with the express busing is that the bus always arrives within a 10 minute window of the scheduled time which is pretty darn good considering everything that can possibly delay the bus including traffic and unruly student behavior.

It's a parental responsibility to make sure someone is there to meet the bus if necessary. Some parents/adults are never where they need to be on time, so would you expect the bus driver to just sit there and wait until the parent shows up delaying all of the other students on the bus from arriving at their stop on time?

The school system should not be expected to be a babysitter and if the parent can't meet the bus then they need to make other arrangements or hire a babysitter. Based on our experience I think the school system already goes above and beyond to ensure the safety of the students which surely wasn't the case back when I went to school.

Sometimes I think parents ask for and expect more from the school system than should be reasonably expected and then they're the first to complain when their taxes go up to help pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Here's a thought.

Take responsibility for your own kids and get them to the school you want them to go to. I'm growing so sick and tired of parents griping and complaining about how some group has cut back on taking care of their kids.

When did we become a society of people who absolutely have to put work before our children? I know I'm going to be a minority in this fight but if it means I have to adjust my job schedule or even my JOB, I'll do it to provide for MY OWN children. They're my responsibility. When my wife and I decided to have children, we took on the responsibility of caring for them. The "BOE" has very little to do with that.

Well said and I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately we're now living in an "it's all about me" society with a different set of parental values and expectations than what our parents and some of us have towards taking care of our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary