Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
And that's why train stations are being built where they serve the maximum number of folks. Look up "transit-oriented development", for example. Trains will be great for the number of folks that want to take trains, which believe it or not is a substantial number. Those that don't want to take trains can still slug it on the highway.

In Durham County, at least, a great majority of residents support public transit. Just look at the poll numbers. If Wake and Orange want public transit as well, then we'll see them pass the tax proposal. Hopefully they'll get a chance to do that in the Fall.
It's highly unlikely there will be one train that will go from the front door of a house to the front door of work for many people. That is probably why the previous person mentioned the time they did. Almost every single rider will need to factor in additional time beyond JUST the train ride. That is what I was referring to. I didn't say it's a good or bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,148,301 times
It still wouldn't take the average person two hours with travel to stations.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
And that's why train stations are being built where they serve the maximum number of folks. Look up "transit-oriented development", for example. Trains will be great for the number of folks that want to take trains, which believe it or not is a substantial number. Those that don't want to take trains can still slug it on the highway.

In Durham County, at least, a great majority of residents support public transit. Just look at the poll numbers. If Wake and Orange want public transit as well, then we'll see them pass the tax proposal. Hopefully they'll get a chance to do that in the Fall.
I'm in favor of transit, but the stations are really being built where the existing freight line is, not necessarily where the most people live. I realize they did it to save money but I really wish they would start with a blank sheet of paper as I would rather spend more tax money to do it right than less and it not serve the need.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,115 times
For those that are interested in this discussion, Triangle Transit is holding public scoping meetings today in Chapel Hill and tomorrow in Durham for the light rail project. They're both from 4-7pm and are basically to help them see what issues they'll need to address in the project that they might not yet be aware of.

More info on the meetings, including handouts and meeting booklets can be found here: Triangle Regional Transit Program Just scroll down a bit to the part called "Scoping Meetings for the Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project". Even if you can't attend, you can submit comments by email or snail mail and the addresses for both should be somewhere on that page.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,254,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Sumter Landing View Post
It's highly unlikely there will be one train that will go from the front door of a house to the front door of work for many people. That is probably why the previous person mentioned the time they did. Almost every single rider will need to factor in additional time beyond JUST the train ride. That is what I was referring to. I didn't say it's a good or bad thing.
But this light rails aren't going to be best for everyone. Take two people who lives ITB and in Johnston County, who both work in RTP.

The Johnston County person wouldn't drive to the rail station in Raleigh to get on a train to go to RTP. But that ITB person could. Which means he isn't on I-40, which makes traffic lighter for the people who can't use the train.

Eventually there maybe a station in Clayton or Smithfield, but it still would benefit people who don't/can't use light rail.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM

91 posts, read 211,944 times
Let's see- going to the station , parking, paying, riding, waiting to take a bus from the the station in Raleigh, riding the bus, then walking the rest of the way to work. Sorry that's at least close two hours and that's if the train is on time. driving from my house 35 minutes and it's midnight - 8am so there is no traffic only workman on the highway sometimes that slow me down. If I ever was going to use transit it would have to be the elevated kind and it would be occasionally, certainly not for work. By the way, the State can't afford the basics- paying State workers, schools employees, etc; how are they going to keep a train running even if we get federal funding? It doesn't run on dreams ya know!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,911,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymoose77 View Post
Let's see- going to the station , parking, paying, riding, waiting to take a bus from the the station in Raleigh, riding the bus, then walking the rest of the way to work. Sorry that's at least close two hours and that's if the train is on time. driving from my house 35 minutes and it's midnight - 8am so there is no traffic only workman on the highway sometimes that slow me down. If I ever was going to use transit it would have to be the elevated kind and it would be occasionally, certainly not for work. By the way, the State can't afford the basics- paying State workers, schools employees, etc; how are they going to keep a train running even if we get federal funding? It doesn't run on dreams ya know!
If you work midnight to 8am, congratulations, you are not in the target market to be a user of transit!

Those of us who work during the daytime know that the more we grow, the worse our traffic will get and the worse our sprawl will get without transit. That impacts our region's competitiveness in the hunt for new jobs and new residents.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,350,643 times
I like the concept of regional rail in the Triangle area. But I would not expect to see it have any significant impact on urban sprawl. People choose to live in suburban areas for many reasons, and I doubt the promise of a light rail station within walking distance of your home will result in significant numbers moving back to an urban setting.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM

91 posts, read 211,944 times
I wouldn't ride if I worked days. It isn't worth the trouble and I like living in the suburbs. I rent and own a small house just outside city limits.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,148,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymoose77 View Post
I wouldn't ride if I worked days. It isn't worth the trouble and I like living in the suburbs. I rent and own a small house just outside city limits.
Again, you're not the target demographic. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. They're going to focus on placing light rail in areas that people will most likely utilize it first, then start branching out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary