Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times

Advertisements

Given that I live in the northwest part of Chapel Hill, the planned light rail system will be of no use to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
You could take a bus to the station. I don't live near the hospital either, but I would be willing to do that for a trip to Raleigh or parts of Durham. I don't know if I would do it for going to Target at Southsquare, though, but possibly. The traffic is not that bad for that, but there's a point where driving is more of a hassle than taking a train/bus/walking/plane/etc. For everybody that's different. For me I think a train into downtown Raleigh or Durham might be less hassle than driving.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You could take a bus to the station. I don't live near the hospital either, but I would be willing to do that for a trip to Raleigh or parts of Durham. I don't know if I would do it for going to Target at Southsquare, though, but possibly. The traffic is not that bad for that, but there's a point where driving is more of a hassle than taking a train/bus/walking/plane/etc. For everybody that's different. For me I think a train into downtown Raleigh or Durham might be less hassle than driving.
If (when) it goes to downtown Raleigh, it might be worth it, but for the short drive to Durham from the northern part of Chapel Hill, the hassles of getting to/from the train, and the resulting longer trip (in terms of time) negates any advantages of a train ride for me.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,570,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'd use it all the time to go to downtown Raleigh. It's a 40-minute drive for me that isn't all that traffic-filled when I go, but it would be fun to hop on a light rail at South Square, read a book, and hop off in downtown Raleigh. I'd definitely go there more often if it existed.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM

113 posts, read 180,613 times
Well planned transit and transportation systems in general increase connectivity for all modes at different levels of access. Naysayers should remember that when new highways are built, development must mature around it. To say that there is not enough density, or need, or desire is short-sighted and ignores how the state has spend billions on highways and roads across the state including the Triangle that didn't initially connect much (and in some cases still don't connect much). We have many examples to get this right for the future of the Triangle region, especially the continued viability of RTP. The planning, but more importantly the investment has to start now.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Not sure if the previous comment was directed at me, but I am definitely in favor of Rail (not to the exclusion of roads though). I just feel like it is handicapping the system to try to stay on current Rail corridors, because people have spent the last 100 years moving to places away from them. If the proposed system is supposed to be $1 billion, as a generally physically conservative person, I would still rather spend $2 billion and run the trains in places that make more sense and leverage the current growth patterns to give the system a better head start, because in the end, the return on investment would be better. Just because you waste money as cheaply as possible doesn't mean it is not waste.

I mean, no trains to North Hills or Crabtree, both large employment centers with lots of lower and also higher income people and now or will be large residential centers as well, on main roads (Crabtree near two) where buses can efficiently move people to the train stations, but instead run it out to Spring Forest road (but not actually go to Wake Forest)? That is swimming upstream when it comes to development patterns and forcing something like that will come at a great cost in time, money and usefulness, not to mention disrupting people's desired land use patterns when lots of others have demonstrated they want to live in more denser areas right now.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM

613 posts, read 744,570 times
I was thinking about this thread while watching people standing in the rain waiting for the bus. As I have said before I don't think they should consider the rail option when the bus service is so half-a$$ed. If you were really into mass transit you would be riding the bus. The light rail fantasy is for people who would love to step on a nice air conditioned train near their front door. Paid for by someone else.
Raleigh has very few actual bus stops. Very few shelters. Light rail is expensive to build,expensive to operate and expensive to ride.
How about a decent bus service as a first step. How many posters here ride the bus regularly?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,362,516 times
Charlotte Area Transportation Lynx Light Rai Blue Line....

That is why Raleigh should build their rails. Don't believe for a second the nay-Sayers.

Can't imagine any politician not thinking our light rail is a success... That wasn't the case when it was proposed!!

Build it & they will come. Light rail encourages density which means more tax payers & business for Raleigh or wherever the line spans.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
DURHAM: Road Worrier: As Wake ponders, Durham and Orange work toward light rail | Road Worrier | NewsObserver.com

Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,950,099 times
Many arguments against light rail revolve around the argument that there isn't enough need right now. Even if that's true, anyone who's paying attention can see that the rapid growth of the Triangle means we'll need it right soon. Building a system in stages that spread the cost out over several years makes sense. Waiting until we're overtaken by gridlock does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary