Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

The article I linked said that the law, which took effect in 2008, applied to hand held devices. Hands free are still allowed and changes were not even being contemplated in that area. They were considering increasing the fines and applying the hand held and texting ban to bicicles, but it was vetoed by Gov. Brown.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM

229 posts, read 703,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, you are saying that California has outright banned cell phone use in cars? I'm not talking making you use handsfree, but you are literally not allowed to use a cell phone while driving in any way, not just texting?

This recent article seems to paint a different picture. California says no to tougher cell phone driving law - US news - msnbc.com

That's the problem. People not capable or reading and comprehending this thread or actually knowing the law in the state they are in probably make inattentive drivers, regardless of what they are doing in the car.
You CAN use a hands free system in CA, and you're right it looks like the Chapel Hill ban may even ban hands free blabbing.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

149 posts, read 206,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
I support this too. Seems like every day when I'm on the road I have to dodge someone with a cell phone stuck to their face. The whole point of the ban is not that it will stop it from happening. No law does that. And it's not that it will even stop a majority of it from happening. However, it will stop a percentage, however small, and that will make things better on the road. it will also provide a tool to use to hold people accountable.
For years, people have claimed that there is no "proof" that cell phone use by a driver is a hazard, or if there is, it's not any different from talking to a passenger or drinking a soft drink while driving. But now there are studies that pretty much show that it is a hazard, and that it does increase the chances of an accident. I think this is only common sense.
Many years a go, before all the studies were done, a Police Officer told me that the difference between eating while driving, etc. and a cell phone is that the driver is visualizing what they are hearing, meaning even less attention is on the road. He was right on the money, and studies bear this out. I know that in the overwhelming majority of cases where I see someone do something really screwy on the road, when I pass them they are talking on their cell. Not eating, drinking, playing with the radio, etc. These cases do happen, but from my daily experience they are dwarfed by cell phones.
My kids and I play a game when we travel the highway called "Lost/Clueless/On the Phone" whenever we see a car doing something really strange. As we pass, my kids see if the driver is lost (has a strange look on his or her face while checking a map, GDS or exit signs), on the phone (pretty self-explanatory) or clueless (none of the above, including eating, drinking, putting on makeup ... or for no obvious reason at all).

At least 70% of the time, it's someone on the phone, 10% of the time, it's an obviously lost (and very distracted) driver, and 20% of the time, it's neither. And we've seen this time after time over a period of several years.

Hands-free is better, but not great. I used to have a hands-free cell phone, and eventually let the contract run out. I still found it too distracting on the road, and three or four times before I decided it wasn't worth the money or risk. (Though I do understand if a doctor, nurse or EMS worker needs to use it. Other than an emergency, though ... no, IMO.) While I have a cell phone on me, if my phone rings because I forgot to silence it (and I admit that happens occasionally), I pull over to the next exit or rest stop as soon as I can and take the call. People who have called me in the past know that I will NOT pick up a cell phone while driving. Period. That silly game the kids and I play has reinforced my decision.

Last edited by gazania; 09-18-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
I was behind a young lady the other week, between 10-10 and Yates Mill, can't be more than 3 miles and she ran off the side of the road 8 or 9 times. Yes she was on the phone, and some people call it a tragedy when people like this run off the road and drive ito a tree , killing themselves ( I just hope it's only them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary