Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
And face it if you use google as your resource on dangers associated with where you move, you'd end up in a bunker in Montana somewhere.
Are you kidding? Have you ever Googled "bunkers in Montana"?? I wouldn't get within 100 miles of one of those things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,635 times
I've been driving down 55 between Durham and FV all week and do so frequently. I did smell the dump alittle today but that was the first time ever. Maybe because I was looking for it today because of this thread!
The sewer plant on the outskirts of Durham at Alexander and 55 stinks a bit too.

I used to live in Elizabeth, NJ... so I know smelly. Between the oil refinerys, jet exhaust from Newark airport, NJ Turnpike and US 1 & 9 running through it, and a huge Budweiser plant...I'll be lucky to NOT get lung cancer.... so the air here is like Heaven!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Is that the one near the gun range?
Pretty sure the gun range you're thinking of is over almost on the Sharon Harris campus.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,068 times
Give me a dump over a paper mill, anyday!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsharp66 View Post
I think we got our answer to why the homes are so cheap. Goes back to the saying "if it seems to good to be true...it usually is."
I really think the reason for that is because those homes are so much farther from Raleigh & RTP then one can really gather from looking at a map. It's a ways, as they say. Maybe not one trip, but for an every day commute, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

And I've never smelled anything, either, and I have a really good smeller!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM

113 posts, read 727,573 times
I would not hesitate to move there. I've lived in HS a long time and have never smelt the landfill. The nuclear plant, as other posters mentioned, would cause possible harm to anyone in the Triangle if something were to happen. My husband actually works there, so he's educated me on the operations and safety and it's top notch. As far as the range, there is a range for the security team from the plant out that way. I can't imagine it to be a big deal.

I wouldn't be so quick to drop it if it's a house you truly love. Holly Springs is less expensive in general like someone else said because it's further out from RTP. It's a wonderful town with so much to offer.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Pretty sure the gun range you're thinking of is over almost on the Sharon Harris campus.
The wake county range is up the road from some development that just kicked back into gear the last few months.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM

37 posts, read 42,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
The wake county range is up the road from some development that just kicked back into gear the last few months.

And I bet $5 that within six months all the local news will be carrying an article about how all the homeowners are complaining about the "gun range" and it needs to be shut down.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM

10 posts, read 26,098 times
Default what did you decide about Forest Springs?

lsharp66, did you ever make a decision about moving to this neighborhood? We looked at the model there and thought it was really nice and liked the location.... just wondering if you did move there how you like it?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
P...

Yes there is a nuclear plant in New Hill. If it concerns you, I wouldn't move anywhere in the Triangle. If something catastrophic were to happen, most of wake county would be affected, not just the immediate area. I love within 5 miles of the plant and don't have any concerns.
The geniuses that designed the plant built Shearon Harris on top of a fault line. It's one of the biggest nuclear waste storage facilities in the country with Progress Energy shipping waste from other states to the containment pools at Shearon Harris. God forbid that fault ever decides to move. Or the roof collapses from some sort of attack. Or they have a failure of their water cooling system. Hopefully I'll be on vacation if any of those things happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary