Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM

22 posts, read 61,990 times

Advertisements

Reading CC&R's is good, it will tell you all the rules and regulations. Get the meeting minutes and read them thorougly as well. It will tell you what is happening within the condo community, who has issues, repairs to the complex and how they are performed etc. Also, check tenants vs actual homeowners that live in the complex. If there are alot of sales within the complex that could be a red flag. Why are they selling? Also, do they keep the grounds in good shape. Is the complex amply insured. How much money do they have in savings for emergencies. Check the budget and how money is spent for the complex. I am not a big fan of HOA as they can be very restrictive. The whole point of home ownership in my opinion is freedom to make your home the way you want it to be. If conforming to others perceptions of how a community should behave and look is dificult with you make sure you don't move into a place that is micromanaged to the point that you are living like a stepford wife/person.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 AM

241 posts, read 934,918 times
We live in a small house in a nice area of los angeles. No HOA. But... we've had more problems with people on city council digging up old ordinances and deciding to enforce them. One such ordinance... over 50 years old... you cannot have a fence in your front yard. Period. Hundreds of fences had to come down. Homeowners fought it, but many fences came down. 4 years later, new council member and they dropped the fence thing. I bet Home
Depot and fence contractors were thrilled with all the new fence construction!
Also... our neighbor decided that our little 13' vintage travel trailer was bringing down their property value so we had to move it or get fined... over the Thanksgiving holiday. Still don't know which neighbor (coward! hehe). My point is... you will run into problems everywhere you go, lots of land, hoa or not. Reading over the hoa's covenants will help but it's no guarantee. If you have the time, get on the board, but don't let that power get to you

btw... my mother's HOA drafted a formal letter saying her birdbath needed to be drained because of the Hanta virus. The person that complained lived next door.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-24-2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Last part not needed

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default my hoa

Seems like most HOA'a have issues. People cant comprimise so we are starting to live in a legally controlled world.

I have seen many starter or middle homes trying to become upscale like a 500k subdiv with a crazy HOA. Also I have seen some try and add pools! I say try because finally homeowners stood up and said no, many then sold their homes at the same time driving down values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary