Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois&Hal View Post
Can someone explain why only part of the beltway has tolls?
Because the powers-that-be decided that portion should be paid for by the people who use the road rather than the general public. You need a transponder to use it, but the toll road should not be an issue unless you need it to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
The reason basements are rare is not from radon, but because of the infamous NC clay in our "soil". Houses that do have basements (or even a downstairs built into the side of the hill, which describes the house I grew up in) are subject to mildew or other water-related issues, since the clay tends to keep the water from seeping down.

There are a lot of townhomes that are one level; if you use a walker, you probably don't want to have to take care of a yard, anyway?

BTW, we don't say "The beltway" here. There is 440, which is the BeltLINE, and there is 540 (regarding your question) which is "540".

Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
A search on some of the aggregate sites like realtor.com show 60+ new construction, one story, single family homes. Just use the filters to search on "single story".

Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Mod note: I merged the OP's two threads together, but since some of the info in the original posts was different (they're not exact duplicates) I'm leaving them here in case anyone wants to comment on any of her questions.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Check out Orchard Villas in Apex/Carolina Preserve-Dell Webb community. There are ranches in Preston and Wimbeldon subdivisions in Cary that would be good for you. Word of caution be prepared for competition and get a good Buyer Agent who can fill you in.

In the same boat but looking to relocate elsewhere after 33 years in the Triangle-guessing we are doing the reverse of most people. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM

621 posts, read 982,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Are you speaking about your property in particular? I think the OP was asking about the area in general.
It is my perception that most properties here aren't below sea level or next to a river prone to cresting its banks often or visited often by hurricanes.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
It is my perception that most properties here aren't below sea level or next to a river prone to cresting its banks often or visited often by hurricanes.
Maybe it comes down to the OP's definition of flooding. This area tends to not get the massive hurricane type floods you see on national news increasingly, but then again New Jersey didn't either until Hurricane Sandy. My idea of flooding to be concerned about is something "oh crap there's X inches of water on the first floor (or basement), our furniture / floor is ruined and we didn't have flood insurance", and you don't need to live by a river for that. Sometimes simple landscape changes and hard rains can do it.

There's definitely a big difference, but by the second definition I think flooding is something to be aware of in this area.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Tons of people in Chapel Hill with a basement and without got flooded last summer during our torrential rains. It doesn't take a hurricane or a tropical storm. Just a good heavy rain.

Heavy thunderstorms cause flooding in Chapel Hill, Durham | Traffic | NewsObserver.com

Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois&Hal View Post
What about toxic dumping or landfills...Sorry- come from big metro area and these are issues here.
There is a small area of contaminated ground-water in Wake Forest. You might also read through this site: NCDENR - Wake County - Stony Hill Road

You might also be concerned about the Shearon Harris nuclear reactor southwest of Holly Springs, but it has not caused problems that I know of.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 AM

143 posts, read 201,708 times
Apex, Cary, and Morrisville are practically all the same thing. Think of them as one mega-suburb. The town boundaries are so convoluted, that in spots even locals aren't sure what town they are in.

Ranches are less common, but a decent real estate agent will be able to show you plenty of them.

You will have a hell of a time, though, finding a ranch with a basement. I know this because I've spent a great deal of time looking for them. I'm a Midwesterner, ranch/basement combos are pretty common there, and with AC bills being what they are in NC I figured they'd be a good fit. But alas, the only time I find basements are in rather large, two story homes. They figure if you need the space of the basement, you must need the second floor. Up north tornadoes and freezing pipes make basements a must have. Here, they tend toward damp n spidery. They are not helpful with resale value either, weirdly.

But honestly, in the 300-400k price range, you really won't have trouble finding something lovely in the areas you are looking. You just need a good agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary