U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 29,149 times
Default IS it better in NC?

My husband and I are in North Jersey. Great Schools and large Two bedroom apartment that we pay almost $2000 per month for. We are wondering if we can find something comprable in NC for less. If so, where? What would be pay to be near a good school and two-three bedroom apartment? How is the job market? Any recommendations would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM

11,151 posts, read 8,928,693 times
Are you looking specifically in the Triangle area, or North Carolina in general?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,840,834 times
It's cheaper, for sure. Whether it's better is up for debate. I personally think so, but others don't. It depends on your definition of better.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 AM

6,056 posts, read 8,551,596 times
Unemployment is high, just like everywhere else.

Plug your job titles into major online employment sites, and I'm sure that will give you some idea of what's available. Indeed.com is a good site because it gives results from different job websites.

You could probably find what you want for $1200 - $1500 a month, I would think. You can check craigslist for home rental prices; you could probably find a home to rent in good areas at those rates.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM

7,579 posts, read 9,610,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl1275 View Post
My husband and I are in North Jersey. Great Schools and large Two bedroom apartment that we pay almost $2000 per month for. We are wondering if we can find something comprable in NC for less. If so, where? What would be pay to be near a good school and two-three bedroom apartment? How is the job market? Any recommendations would be very helpful!
North Carolina is a large state with 9 million people--you need to narrow it down a bit. Housing prices and the job market vary greatly from one part of the state to another. Do you know anything at all about the state? We have mountains, coast, and piedmont. We have urban, rural, and suburban. What specifically are you looking for, and what industries are you asking about for job market?

There is not a one-size-fits-all- answer to any of your questions. I suggest perusing other threads in the NC forum to get some of the more basic questions answered, and then addressing specifics. This is not somewhere to move merely "to get away from somewhere else" without more specific direction.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM

7,337 posts, read 9,269,088 times
Quote:

Depending on perspective, things can be better. EXCEPTION being the job market. It is in the toilet like most of the country, may be even worse here?

IF you found employment here, it might be 10%-20% less than you currently earn in NJ? I took a 25% cut (teacher) to be here, but my wife and I are doing better here (lower rent and such) but we are not staying in a six-figure home nor driving late model vehicles. If you are looking at rent in the $1000+ neighborhood and driving late model cars (Highway Usage Tax [HUT] and property tax on the vehicles will be a big hit) you may find it is much more costly to relocate.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,726,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
EXCEPTION being the job market. It is in the toilet like most of the country, may be even worse here?
Yes, there was a recent BLS statistic that rated North Carolina number 44 in unemployment numbers. That's close to the bottom, with 10.4% unemployment. FYI, North Dakota has the lowest unemployment numbers. Here's the reference: http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-25-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,336,835 times
8.8% unemployment is a much more applicable figure for the Triangle Forum.
10.4% may be applicable for the North Carolina Forum.

Triangle unemployment climbs to 8.8 percent :: WRAL.com

Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM

919 posts, read 855,271 times
Quote:
Until she says otherwise, let's give citygirl1275 the benefit of the doubt and assume (possibly an incorrect assumption) that she isn't really asking about all of North Carolina, or about North Carolina in general, but that she meant the Triangle area, since she did choose to post it in the "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary" forum.

In answer to the original question, then, yes you should be able to find a comparable two- or three-bedroom rental anywhere in the Triangle area for considerably less than your place in Jersey. Somewhere in the $1200 to $1500 range that lovebrentwood mentioned should be plenty to get you into even many of the more upscale communities. Of course, as zthatzmanz28 said, incomes tend to also be lower here, so that loss may at least somewhat offset your savings in housing costs.

Most of the school districts in the region tend to be pretty highly-rated, especially in the more affluent, higher-end areas, so I would think that you should be fine with that, unless there are some specific needs or preferences in your or your children's situation.

And as the other people have said, the job market is pretty rough here, though certainly neither the best nor the worst in the country. I definitely wouldn't expect it to be substantially better overall than in New Jersey. But whether and how quickly you find a job here depends a lot on your particular field, your skills and experience, your persistence, and a bit of dumb luck. You absolutely can find jobs in the Triangle even now, but I wouldn't plan on it happening quickly or automatically just by showing up here, unless you happen to work in an unusually in-demand profession.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM

453 posts, read 542,721 times
Quote:

I will guess you mean the Triangle area as well since you posted in this forum We are also from NJ, moved here and love it. We have been very happy with the schools. Wake county over the time we have been here has experienced a lot of growth with many such as ourselves moving here. So many areas have schools that don't deal with being bused to another school outside your town , there are some that do. We have year round and tradtional school schedules. Year round is the same amount of days but broken up over the course of the year. You are in for 9 weeks then break for about 3. We love it. It's great to go on vacation when others are in school. Some dont like the change and want it like it's always been...to each his own. We live in Apex and have been very happy with the town and schools. They are 2 elememtary 2 middle - one year round, one tradtional. One high school with a new one being built ( which I am very happy about ) which they say will be open for the 2015-2016 school year.
Rent for a two bedroom you will find will be cheaper than 2000 a month. We also rented for our first year here. Very glad we did! It will give you time to look around and find what you want.

The job market is about the same all over. Be sure to have something already in place before making the move. If you can transfer even better. Not that you can't move here without a job, but be sure to have money to hold you over in your job search. It all depends on the work you or both are in. I'm in IT and it's seen some more jobs but there is still there a lot out of work. The one new job will probably see 200 resumes. Some find jobs quickly, some are still looking for over 2 + years. These days you just can't predict what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary