U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,959 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am considering moving to North Carolina when I graduate college in a few years from Indiana possibly to the Raleigh/surround areas. Are these good areas? Where else should I look into? I just want to move somewhere south. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,167,322 times
Reputation: 8516
It's nice that you are thinking of your life beyond college and where you might like to live, but no one can judge what might be a good area for you except you. We can help you identify whether Raleigh and the greater Triangle area have the features and amenities you are looking for in a place to live - but you first need to identify what it is you are looking for. Thus far, the only thing we know about your interests is that you want to move south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,671,749 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_a_d_y_h_o_o_s_i_e_r23 View Post
I am considering moving to North Carolina when I graduate college in a few years from Indiana possibly to the Raleigh/surround areas. Are these good areas? Where else should I look into? I just want to move somewhere south. Thanks!
You need to be a LOT more specific than "I want to move somewhere south" before anybody can give you advice! That covers about half the country, from Indiana! What has put NC in your sights--what do you know about the state? Have you ever been? What have you heard about us that makes you think about moving here, specifically the Raleigh area? Have you looked into the job market in your field and found it a good match for your future career?

Considering that literally the only criteria you gave us is "I just want to move somewhere south" and then you ask "Where else should I look into?", I would say: VA, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TN, AR, and Texas for starters....unless you can narrow it down a little!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 AM
 
277 posts, read 575,761 times
Reputation: 354
A lot is going to change by the time you graduate from college no matter where you are looking to move. It's good to start having a plan for your life early on and putting out feelers to narrow the field is cool but I personally wouldn't start seriously looking until your last year of school. Good luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,959 times
Reputation: 15
Sorry for the confusion...I don't know a lot about the state, and I am researching, but it seems like a good state to live and work in. I did do some research for the career I am considering, and it seems like there are more opportunities in North Carolina. To clarify I am thinking about places around Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,671,749 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_a_d_y_h_o_o_s_i_e_r23 View Post
Sorry for the confusion...I don't know a lot about the state, and I am researching, but it seems like a good state to live and work in. I did do some research for the career I am considering, and it seems like there are more opportunities in North Carolina. To clarify I am thinking about places around Raleigh.
As the person above you said, you have a LOT of time before you finish school to ponder things like this. It is certainly good to be researching early, but everything we tell you could be changed 4 years from now, just like it changed massively from 4 years AGO (pre-recession).

You still haven't told us WHAT field you are thinking of going into (and that could change too--most people change their career paths during college--or the opportunities could).

One thing to do might be to look for some kind of summer job/internship that is in Raleigh and in your field, and then you can get local experience (will come in VERY handy for recommendations later) while seeing how you like living here? You do have the luxury of time on your side, but the downside is that it's very hard for anyone to say how "Raleigh of the future in 4 years" will match what you are looking for (never mind what you will be looking for then). Firsthand exploration is your best bet right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,959 times
Reputation: 15
Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I am 99% sure I want to be an Ultrasound Tech, and I have researched the income for the area I am looking for. I want to possibly move to Garner because it is close to Raleigh too.I have researched it and it seems like a place that I would really like to live in. I am now thinking about doing a year of college at home, and transferring to a Raleigh college my sophomore year. My question is, is there maybe a community college that offers courses in ultrasound sonography?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM
 
924 posts, read 1,741,912 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_a_d_y_h_o_o_s_i_e_r23 View Post
Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I am 99% sure I want to be an Ultrasound Tech, and I have researched the income for the area I am looking for. I want to possibly move to Garner because it is close to Raleigh too.I have researched it and it seems like a place that I would really like to live in. I am now thinking about doing a year of college at home, and transferring to a Raleigh college my sophomore year. My question is, is there maybe a community college that offers courses in ultrasound sonography?
It still does sound like you may be putting the cart before the horse a bit, since your move would still be quite a ways off, and who knows what could happen in your life and in the economy between now and then. But I suppose it can't hurt to think ahead and be prepared.

Garner is (to me) one of the more interesting and underrated towns in the Triangle area. It's traditionally been a mostly working-class town, and still today it's not one of the more affluent or upscale suburbs in the region, although there's been a lot more upscale development there in the last 10 or 15 years, and there will surely be more if and when the economy improves. It also tends to be a bit more "Southern" than the other towns around here, and you'd certainly here more Southern accents in Garner than you would in, say, Cary or Apex or Wake Forest. For these reasons, Garner is sometimes disregarded or made fun of by people in the Triangle, but that's kind of unfair. What about Garner made you identify it as a place that you "would really like to live in"? Personally, I really like Garner. I lived in Garner for about three years, and the place I lived was conveniently located and pleasant and safe and had a lot of cool neighbors, and it would have cost at least 10%-30% more if it had been in one of the more "trendy" parts of Raleigh or its suburbs. But the nice thing about Garner is that it's actually a short drive or a manageable bike ride from most of those trendy areas, so I wasn't giving up much by living there. Garner certainly has some issues, and it may not be for everyone, but it's a nice little town with a lot going for it.

For your purposes, one of the good things about Garner could be that it's right up the road from the main campus of Wake Tech, which is the largest and most comprehensive community college in the area. Wake Tech offers an extensive selection of Health Sciences related programs, and I've known a number of people who have gone through those programs and quickly landed good jobs, even in this economy. I don't know whether they offer ultrasound sonography specifically, but it certainly seems like it would be worth calling or emailing them to find out the details.

Health Sciences Division - Wake Technical Community College


Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,850,386 times
Reputation: 4456
Garner is cool now. American Idol Scotty is from Garner.

People from all over (including Indiana) now know that Garner exists.


Wondering what the OP meant when she said "luxury" in the title of her post. What would you like to know about luxury in North Carolina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
It still does sound like you may be putting the cart before the horse a bit, since your move would still be quite a ways off, and who knows what could happen in your life and in the economy between now and then. But I suppose it can't hurt to think ahead and be prepared.

Garner is (to me) one of the more interesting and underrated towns in the Triangle area. It's traditionally been a mostly working-class town, and still today it's not one of the more affluent or upscale suburbs in the region, although there's been a lot more upscale development there in the last 10 or 15 years, and there will surely be more if and when the economy improves. It also tends to be a bit more "Southern" than the other towns around here, and you'd certainly here more Southern accents in Garner than you would in, say, Cary or Apex or Wake Forest. For these reasons, Garner is sometimes disregarded or made fun of by people in the Triangle, but that's kind of unfair. What about Garner made you identify it as a place that you "would really like to live in"? Personally, I really like Garner. I lived in Garner for about three years, and the place I lived was conveniently located and pleasant and safe and had a lot of cool neighbors, and it would have cost at least 10%-30% more if it had been in one of the more "trendy" parts of Raleigh or its suburbs. But the nice thing about Garner is that it's actually a short drive or a manageable bike ride from most of those trendy areas, so I wasn't giving up much by living there. Garner certainly has some issues, and it may not be for everyone, but it's a nice little town with a lot going for it.

For your purposes, one of the good things about Garner could be that it's right up the road from the main campus of Wake Tech, which is the largest and most comprehensive community college in the area. Wake Tech offers an extensive selection of Health Sciences related programs, and I've known a number of people who have gone through those programs and quickly landed good jobs, even in this economy. I don't know whether they offer ultrasound sonography specifically, but it certainly seems like it would be worth calling or emailing them to find out the details.

Health Sciences Division - Wake Technical Community College


Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 AM
 
924 posts, read 1,741,912 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Garner is cool now. American Idol Scotty is from Garner.
Yeah, I like Garner, too, and I think it is sort of "cool," in a way. But, yikes! I don't think there's anything "cool" about American Idol, unless it's in an ironic, kitschy kind of way. But that's entirely a matter of opinion, of course, and "coolness" is completely subjective and in the eye of the beholder. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top