Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 83,320 times

Advertisements

We are looking around for a single family home in Morrisville or Cary. We looked around a few communities and the following interested us.

Crawl Foundation
Phillips Place - KB Homes
Bellemont - DR Horton

Slab Foundation
Evans Farm - M/I
Town Hall Commons - Pulte

I personally liked the floor plans in Phillips Place and Bellemont. For the one from KB, I have to put in ton of upgrades while for Bellemont most of the upgrades (hardwood, granite tops, fireplace, screened porch) are factored into the base price. The only downside as far as I can tell for Bellemont is its close to 540.

After browsing through couple of posts online, I came across some good and bad reviews about both KB and DR Horton. How are they in terms of construction quality in Cary/Morrisville area? Or should I not trust both and go with Evans or Pulte instead.

I'm just looking for a decent builder with whom I'm not worried about repairs at least for couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM

232 posts, read 1,028,509 times
Evans Farm by MI seems to be have the best value for money. Good builder, decent sized lots, conveniently located close to 540 but not too close!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,075,766 times
I live in a DR Horton home and they've been fine. People in my subdivision have complained, and I think when the market first crashed and they were laying people off like crazy it was bad, but they've been very responsive--we had a roof leak in our dining room when the house was 1.-2 years old, and again a few weeks ago. Turns out lots of the houses with our floorplan were having the same issue, they discovered the problem (lack of flashing in a particular area) and fixed it--more than 3 years after we bought the house.

Now, I suppose one could say that the problem should never have been there in the first place, and that's true. But they've also been prompt and responsive.

I lived in slab homes in Florida and they were fine there, but here, they just look a little odd to me b/c they're not the norm. I like a crawl space or basement in this region.

KB.....I don't know about their construction, just that in another state we looked at their homes and they were selling a bare shell (a 1/2 bath on the 1st floor was an upgrade--yes, really) and we would've had to put in almost $100k in upgrades to make it what we wanted--and that would've priced us right out of the n'hood. Don't know about what it's like here. I do think that Twin Lakes is cute.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Any reason you're not looking for a resale? You could get a nicer home that way.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Actually it's two folded:
1) I'm under the impression that with resale, the main problem will be warranty and any unexpected repairs that should be done. I could be wrong.
2) My wife. Since this will be our first home, she prefers moving in to a brand new home.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I live in a DR Horton home and they've been fine. People in my subdivision have complained, and I think when the market first crashed and they were laying people off like crazy it was bad, but they've been very responsive--we had a roof leak in our dining room when the house was 1.-2 years old, and again a few weeks ago. Turns out lots of the houses with our floorplan were having the same issue, they discovered the problem (lack of flashing in a particular area) and fixed it--more than 3 years after we bought the house.

Now, I suppose one could say that the problem should never have been there in the first place, and that's true. But they've also been prompt and responsive.

I lived in slab homes in Florida and they were fine there, but here, they just look a little odd to me b/c they're not the norm. I like a crawl space or basement in this region.

KB.....I don't know about their construction, just that in another state we looked at their homes and they were selling a bare shell (a 1/2 bath on the 1st floor was an upgrade--yes, really) and we would've had to put in almost $100k in upgrades to make it what we wanted--and that would've priced us right out of the n'hood. Don't know about what it's like here. I do think that Twin Lakes is cute.
With KB, I was surprised when I saw exhaust fans is an upgrade for the bathrooms. BTW, I came to know today that DR Horton has a new community, Friendship Corner, coming up on Evans Rd Cary.

May I know which floor plan it is that had the leak problem? We looked at Amelia in Bellemont and interested in Franklin at Friendship Corner.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,075,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtumati View Post
With KB, I was surprised when I saw exhaust fans is an upgrade for the bathrooms. BTW, I came to know today that DR Horton has a new community, Friendship Corner, coming up on Evans Rd Cary.

May I know which floor plan it is that had the leak problem? We looked at Amelia in Bellemont and interested in Franklin at Friendship Corner.

Thanks!
Is it LEGAL to not put an exhaust fan in the bathroom? WOW!! We have one in all five of our bathrooms! Sounds like KB, though. If I were to buy from them I'd pick a floor plan way under my range and plan to add tons of options.

I live in Savannah. We have the Drayton model (the one with the turret).

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM

826 posts, read 1,926,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtumati View Post
Actually it's two folded:
1) I'm under the impression that with resale, the main problem will be warranty and any unexpected repairs that should be done. I could be wrong.
2) My wife. Since this will be our first home, she prefers moving in to a brand new home.
FWIW, we negotiated a 1 year Home Warranty contract to be paid by the seller into our contract to cover any needed repairs found outside of inspection. but any home, new or old, will probably have some things that need to be addressed after inspection.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
If rthe bathroom has an operable window to allow for ventilation, mechanical ventilation is optional.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,330,709 times
where are these neighborhoods? they must be new since i've never heard of them. I know Town Hall Commons but not these.

Phillips Place - KB Homes
Bellemont - DR Horton
Evans Farm - M/I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary