U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 AM

23,055 posts, read 18,005,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionDetector View Post
That's an odd statement from Tuborg, I don't agree with it at all. It makes me wonder if Tuborg even lives in the Triangle..

Inter-racial marriage in Raleigh and Durham is a NOT ISSUE. I am a white male who has been married to an african-american female for 10 years, living in Raleigh, and we have met so many good people here!

NC is still a conservative state (more than I'd like it to be), but Raleigh and especially Durham are very tolerant places to live.

YOU CAN BE SURE TO PUT THOSE CONCERNS TO REST. C'MON DOWN!
More flags compared to Boston or San Francisco. Remember the Confederate flag is a symbol of Southern Heritage and logically you would see more anywhere in the south compared to the North East or West Coast. Wouldn't you? Or do you think Southern Heritage is just as strong in Boston as it is in North Carolina. The flag for many is a symbol of family heritage and tradition. Yes I do live in the Triangle and do have my eyes open. To say it is not an issue is a personal answer and glad for you it isn't but to think it is a blanket that doesn't bother anyone is to ignore some of the anecdotal information others share. Remember age and specific location within the Triange are relevant. However do you really believe if you and the Mrs took a stroll thru the hood about 9:30 one night you wouldn't hear any comments? You pick the hood in Durham or Raleigh and how do you think it would play out? When our neighborhood was first developing I often had minority couples pull up and ask me about the community etc etc. I heard some real interesting stories about other neighborhoods etc etc. Including the young inter racial couple who wanted out of the house they had purchased just a couple of years earlier. Nothing is perfect and to suggest there is no racism in the Triangle is curious! I mean do you really think the issues about the Wake County Public Schools don't have race as a factor to anyone? Socio Economic Status to anyone? Is the OP to believe that Black or White the antagonist towards each other are fully neutral on mixed race couples when they clearly oppose multi-culturalism as a school system objective? None? No one? Doesn't need to be wide spread if you move next door to the wrong person/family. That applies to multiple situations not just involving race but to suggest there would be no problem is to say everyone is warm, inviting and financially secure and just gosh darn loves the world. Hey just a read of the comments to articles in the News Observer and WRAL etc might give the OP some insight that the Triangle is just like the real world and there are some strong passions in the Triangle just like elsewhere. I suspect some might say that Raleigh is one of the most progressive areas of North Carolina and I would concur. However considering that San Francisco is a former home town they might not consider Raleigh as progressive.

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-02-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM

6,056 posts, read 8,557,449 times
I don't know where TuburgP lives, but I truly don't think this is indicative of the Triangle area. I guess it's true in his area? Or maybe he just believes such disrespect would happen given his knowledge of the residents? Even regarding the "age" of people -- the "old" people now are mostly boomers. Boomers are generally more enlightened than the "old" people of the past. Maybe that kind of nastiness is more likely in the outlying areas? The types of people who hate minorities of all kinds but go to church every Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
More flags compared to Boston or San Francisco. Remember the Confederate flag is a symbol of Southern Heritage and logically you would see more anywhere in the south compared to the North East or West Coast. Wouldn't you? Or do you think Southern Heritage is just as strong in Boston as it is in North Carolina. The flag for many is a symbol of family heritage and tradition. Yes I do live in the Triangle and do have my eyes open. To say it is not an issue is a personal answer and glad for you it isn't but to think it is a blanket that doesn't bother anyone is to ignore some of the anecdotal information others share. Remember age and specific location within the Triange are relevant. However do you really believe if you and the Mrs took a stroll thru the hood about 9:30 one night you wouldn't hear any comments? You pick the hood in Durham or Raleigh and how do you think it would play out?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 AM

23,055 posts, read 18,005,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't know where TuburgP lives, but I truly don't think this is indicative of the Triangle area. I guess it's true in his area? Or maybe he just believes such disrespect would happen given his knowledge of the residents? Even regarding the "age" of people -- the "old" people now are mostly boomers. Boomers are generally more enlightened than the "old" people of the past. Maybe that kind of nastiness is more likely in the outlying areas? The types of people who hate minorities of all kinds but go to church every Sunday?
I am a boomer and have more exposure to. My son has a different perspective about his age group and is able to distinguish the difference between age. He works with a variety of people and would also say there is a tolerance difference based on age and income. So pair it and you have a differences based on age and income. I have always gotten along with a variety of people and probably know more in my neighborhood then most and clearly get along the best across racial lines. I also know what peope think and I feel comfortable that tolerance towards mixed race with both Black and White being negative towards. To suggest their are no African American Woman in the Triangle who disapprove of mixed race couples is sorta of amazing. Not saying many or most are but if the one who is works with you well you know the drill. Certainly Raleigh is better than most but there are areas that are very tolerant and even there you have folks who have issues. Boomers born and raised in the Triangle were born and raised in segregation with greater opportunities in education and jobs for Whites. When were the Wake county schools integrated? Is not there a fear on the part of many African Americans that some on the Wake School Board want to go back to another time in the county? Don't you remember the anti multiculturalism comments in the school system discussion? Some might suggest that SOME folks who are against a multi cultural agenda in the Wake Schools might have some reservations about multi cultural familes. Just maybe some might!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM

103 posts, read 146,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I get up, shave, *****, shower, have breakfast, make lunches for myself and kids, drive to work, 8-5 job, drive home, cook dinner and feed family, soccer practice or cub scouts, get kids their baths, read stories and put them to bed, catch up on email, brush teeth, kiss wife good night, go to sleep. Repeat.
You really should try to find some time for exercise in there.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM

967 posts, read 1,285,560 times
I don't know about anyone else here but this type of question by the OP is just so over.

Use the search option, OP.

I haven't noticed any response by the OP since all of the posts contributed by CD people.

Maybe I missed something, but that's weird.
best,
toodie

Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM

757 posts, read 1,399,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_on_the_move View Post
Hi all:

My fiancee and I are considering moving to Raleigh and I'm hoping I can get some insight into what day-to-day life might be like. We're both in our 30's, I'm black, she's white, both corporate types and we were both raised in pretty liberal areas (Boston and San Francisco). As far as any possible issues for us as a couple I'm not that concerned but we are planning a family and I obviously want to have as supportive an environment for bi-racial kids as possible.

I appreciate you input, thanks so much!
Durham and Chapel Hill are a lot more liberal than Raleigh will ever be and as such would be much more accepting of interracial couples .... hey don't shoot the messenger here

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,772 times
Thanks all for the information! I'm sitting here at work in Silicon Valley and am more excited about the move than ever. I'm most concerned about my soon-to-be wife as she's the San Fran girl and somewhat concerned but your words have been most helpful.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM

6,056 posts, read 8,557,449 times
Uh, no. If you moved to Raleigh, you'd be more than fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Durham and Chapel Hill are a lot more liberal than Raleigh will ever be and as such would be much more accepting of interracial couples .... hey don't shoot the messenger here

Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM

925 posts, read 1,649,786 times
As a biracial Wake County native, I can honestly say that an interracial couple would be more than fine living anywhere in Wake County. I grew up here and have traveled our country and the world. This area is no less progressive than anywhere else. Now, if you want to go back in time, say 20 years...yeah, you may have had an issue. I was one of 2 biracial kids in my elementary and middle schools. My kids are 2 of many biracial kids in their schools and in our neighborhood.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM

841 posts, read 910,585 times
I am a white male and my wife is a black woman. Both of us grew up in NJ. We have experienced very few problems here, or anywhere for that matter. Some looks occasionally. They seem, sometimes, to be more out of casual interest than rasict sneers. Most people, if they got problems, keep it to themselves....but not always. You would be suprised, when I am not with my wife, the things you may here.
We were in Myrtle Beach about 8 years ago. I was swimming and bobbing around in the ocean while my wife was sitting on beach reading. Another white gentleman was swimming in the area and we struck up a conversation. He said to me that he love MB, except for all the N*****s. I told him I was glad I didnt have his problems and swam away. Shoulda seen the look of absolute jaw hanging guilt, shame and astonishment 10 minutes later when he had to sit down with his family 10 feet from where my beautiful bride and I were enjoying our beach time! lol

When I went to a family reunion with my wife a couple months after starting to date. We showed up late. It was held at a local school. One of her family members ran up to me and told me they were getting ready to clean up and to help myself to leftovers...while I waited to lock up the building... they thought I was the Janitor at the school!!

While I cant say you will have no problems...its not like "Mississippi Burning" or "Time to Kill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary