Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 12,919 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

My fiancee and I are considering moving to Raleigh and I'm hoping I can get some insight into what day-to-day life might be like. We're both in our 30's, I'm black, she's white, both corporate types and we were both raised in pretty liberal areas (Boston and San Francisco). As far as any possible issues for us as a couple I'm not that concerned but we are planning a family and I obviously want to have as supportive an environment for bi-racial kids as possible.

I appreciate you input, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM

814 posts, read 2,005,773 times
You would not stand out here any more than anywhere else. And I am guessing most people wouldn't bat an eyelash. Of course, like anywhere, there will be some people that may have an issue....but are they everywhere? Don't think you will have a problem. Would suggest that you not move TOO far away from the more urban Triangle areas, such as Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill....many of the smaller suburban towns (Holly Springs, Apex, Pittsboro) are fine...but when you start getting farther out (Smithfield, Johnston County) you will run into a more small town, rural conservative crowd. Not saying that they will have a problem with it either, but they are perhaps more resistant to change.....

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM

5,740 posts, read 17,588,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_on_the_move View Post
My fiancee and I are considering moving to Raleigh and I'm hoping I can get some insight into what day-to-day life might be like.
I get up, shave, *****, shower, have breakfast, make lunches for myself and kids, drive to work, 8-5 job, drive home, cook dinner and feed family, soccer practice or cub scouts, get kids their baths, read stories and put them to bed, catch up on email, brush teeth, kiss wife good night, go to sleep. Repeat.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,804,928 times
Virtually no race issues here. Though if you're coming from large cities, it will be markedly more conservative than, especially, SFO, and you may find yourself always "noticing" things ("it woudln't be like that back home....!") so just realize that and don't compare things to before. Raleigh is NOT a "big urban city" but rather a very suburban area with a small downtown. Of course there is racism everywhere, but it is more likely to be aimed at lower-class types than, as you say "corporate types". Your daily life will be generally no different than that of your neighbors, whatever their races/stripes.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,014,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_on_the_move View Post
Hi all:

My fiancee and I are considering moving to Raleigh and I'm hoping I can get some insight into what day-to-day life might be like. We're both in our 30's, I'm black, she's white, both corporate types and we were both raised in pretty liberal areas (Boston and San Francisco). As far as any possible issues for us as a couple I'm not that concerned but we are planning a family and I obviously want to have as supportive an environment for bi-racial kids as possible.

I appreciate you input, thanks so much!
You really should have little problem and may have less problems here than Boston. How comfortable would you be in Southie? If you would feel comfortable there, certainly no worry here for the most part. Pick you neighborhoods well and as I have told others have a culturally sensitive agent. The agent we had was very much so and screened everything without us needing to worry. I have heard some negative stories and can tell you the negative will be more class related and old school oriented from both Whites, Blacks and Hispanics. As another said Johnston can be the best of and the worst of. The economic downturn has created a different environment from a few years ago and without a doubt some of the angry folks are here there and everywhere. Lots of nice folks here so it is all situation oriented. As far as kids go once again you will find plenty of multicultural kids for them and a share of those that clearly aren't. Depending on where in the Triangle get ready for more pickup trucks and Confederate flags. Not that it means anything.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,084,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
YDepending on where in the Triangle get ready for more pickup trucks and Confederate flags. Not that it means anything.
What do you mean get ready for more...? I've lived in the Triangle area almost two decades and have never seen a Confederate flag. Okay, maybe one.

In comparison, when I went to South Carolina once, I saw an entire parking lot full of confederate flags on pickup trucks in the Walmart parking lot.

But the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) does not have that kind of environment.

Thank goodness.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM

892 posts, read 3,159,579 times
Coming from Boston and San Fran, you would leave here out of boredom before any racial thing (see new user's post above)!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM

273 posts, read 618,734 times
There's a thread about this every few weeks. The replies are all the same. All are welcome. Enjoy.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,225,777 times
Indeed enjoy the good life! I've grown up here in Raleigh and getting close to marriage myself in the next couple years and I have friends many of whom are recently married. Interacial couples are not a big deal here at all. In fact with the colleges and RTP here and all the transplants the last 15 year or so I'd think that it's even a more open environment than ever before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary