U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,451,012 times

Advertisements

I think the least you could do is give your neighbors the benefit of the doubt, and speak to them first before doing anything drastic. Believe it or not, there are some nice dog owners out there that would be mortified if they knew what their dog was doing..... Oh, and that brings me to my next point....Ginger, our wonderful dog we picked up at the shelter a few years back was sneaking into my neighbors yard to do her business. My husband and I had no idea, and the neighbor was nice enough to let us know, and the situation was immediately addressed. I'm not saying this is how it will happen with your neighbor, but at least assume they are not aware of the situation....Jeannie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,665,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
People who own pets that are permitted to wander are not always real open to talking about their lack of respect and responsibility. Do not expect to be greeted with cake and coffee if you do approach them.
Please keep in mind, it is not the dog's fault that his owners are pathetic.
I have to agree. I always said if I had to tell a dog owner his dog was 1) using my yard for his business or 2) that his dog barking day and night was annoying us, I had already lost the battle. What's the old adage: do unto others?

I would try the personal approach first using the opening line "I don't think you realize Old Yeller is ________ in my yard. That way, they have an out (the kids must be letting him run free or his invisible fence isn't operating correctly) and may act accordingly. Going at it combatively will raise the hair on their necks most likely and then you have a problem. I learned that the hard way.

We lived wayyyyy out in the country years ago and had neighbors build and move in a year later only to follow with kennels full of dobermans and german shephards. The barking would wake the dead and after tolerating it for so long, I cracked and blew up at them (the last straw was when we replayed Christmas video I had taken outside and all we could hear was barking throughout the entire taping!!!!!!!!!). The wife calmly looked at me and said "We moved out here to rasie dogs. Get use to it...."

Needless to say, it was the number one reason we moved a year later......

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 08-21-2007 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,782,833 times
Thanks for all your advice. Ugh. This is so annoying. I know they know their dog wanders, because they frequently have to go up the street to retrieve her. I also am predisposed to think they don't care about this issue because I've seen them walking her (on a leash) with no doo bag. The paranoid part of me thinks they've trained her to not go in their yard so they don't have to pick it up.

I guess I'll talk to them--can't have the husband do it, because he's less...diplomatic...and that would be the end of any opportunity for a nice neighborly relationship...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,451,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Thanks for all your advice. Ugh. This is so annoying. I know they know their dog wanders, because they frequently have to go up the street to retrieve her. I also am predisposed to think they don't care about this issue because I've seen them walking her (on a leash) with no doo bag. The paranoid part of me thinks they've trained her to not go in their yard so they don't have to pick it up.

I guess I'll talk to them--can't have the husband do it, because he's less...diplomatic...and that would be the end of any opportunity for a nice neighborly relationship...
Well, the dog wandering is a bit more information now. I would still try to address it with them though, and then, if not resolved, take the next step....

Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 AM

2,268 posts, read 7,996,503 times
Talk to your neighbor. Start out as "you probably don't realize it, but..."

Since you say the dog "sometimes" wanders into your yard, I'm wondering if the owner thinks the dog always stays in his home yard and doesn't realize the problem.

Also, we once got an irate phone call from our neighbor saying "every time you leave your dog barks" and worse, and I was pretty offended that she assumed we knew this. Our dog had no history of barking (it was a new thing after we had kids) and since we weren't home, how would we know? We were happy to do something about it, but I really hated the implication that we'd been intentionally ignoring it.

So start out assuming your neighbor is not intending to send the dog to decorate your yard and go from there.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,258,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Talk to your neighbor. Start out as "you probably don't realize it, but..."

Since you say the dog "sometimes" wanders into your yard, I'm wondering if the owner thinks the dog always stays in his home yard and doesn't realize the problem.

Also, we once got an irate phone call from our neighbor saying "every time you leave your dog barks" and worse, and I was pretty offended that she assumed we knew this. Our dog had no history of barking (it was a new thing after we had kids) and since we weren't home, how would we know? We were happy to do something about it, but I really hated the implication that we'd been intentionally ignoring it.

So start out assuming your neighbor is not intending to send the dog to decorate your yard and go from there.
What did you do to cease the barking?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM

820 posts, read 2,470,780 times
I live in a neighborhood of homes which are detached but very close together. 5 out of the 6 homes on each side of me have dogs in them and once sometimes twice a day for 3 weeks straight I was getting presents in my yard. At least in your case you know who the culpret is. In mine I had thoughts but didn't feel comfortable making accusations without seeing it and being 100% sure. I went the HOA route and they sent out notices but the problem was they were emailing and addressing the notes to the home owners and you guessed it, 3 of the 4 with dogs don't own the places, they are just renters. How was I supposed to know if they were accurately notified of the problem.

Since you know who it is then go directly to them and politely say that you've noticed their dog using the bathroom in your yard and you'd like them to address the problem. They need to at least start showing some effort to curb it right away. Give them a couple of chances and then goto the HOA and animal control.

This is one of those subjects which really peeves me. While I am sure there are some pet owners who simply don't know it's happening, but I think the majority of owners do and think it's no big deal. It boils down to laziness, irresponsibility, and a lack of consideration. The worst part to me is that some act as if you're overreacting, that "it's just p00p". The point for me is that I love animals, but I don't own one because I don't have the time or the patience to care or clean up after one right now, so why should I have to care or clean up after yours!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,203,350 times
Default Call Animal Control

I would call animal control anonymously, after-all a face to face confrontation may lead to awkwardness thereafter...and being new...you will have to live with that...I say just call anonymously or send a letter to the home saying you see their dog in the surrounding yards taking care of their business and it would be appreciated if they kept an eye on their dog...I don't think I would go face to face with any of my neighbors...I am in a new neighborhood as well and would not want the drama of someone being offended...I am a dog owner, I would not allow my dog loose outside, its called being responsible...I couldn't imagine cleaning up after a neighbors dog...no way! I think it's a poor excuse to hear, "maybe they don't know what their dog is doing" Hello people...how do you just let your dog out and roam the neighborhood...poor poor excuse in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Our neighbor's dog is unleashed and unfenced and frequently wanders into our yard. That doesn't bother us so much. But she also frequently craps in the yard, too. (sorry to be inelequent.) This bothers us. We're pretty new in the neighborhood--6 months or so. How would you handle this? We live in Durham, and I know there are leash laws and nuisance animal laws here. Should we talk to them or should we call animal control?

Last edited by nynraleigh; 08-21-2007 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM

306 posts, read 1,065,918 times
I found this site with lots of homemade recipes for this problem. I remembered something about peppers and this site confirmed it. Worth a try, of course after speaking with the neighbors.

Dog Gone It!

Good luck.

Char

Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,463,721 times
Please speak to the neighbors first and give them a chance to correct the situation. They may be so clueless that they don't even know what their dog is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary