U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM

4,141 posts, read 9,530,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Please speak to the neighbors first and give them a chance to correct the situation. They may be so clueless that they don't even know what their dog is doing.
Somehow I doubt it - since they don't clean up after their dogs on walks either. One of my neighbors walks their dog in the same area every day, and never cleans up (strip of land between the sidewalk & road, owned by the homeowner). I'll spare you the details, but you can definitely tell it's the same dog.

I finally spotted the culprit the other week, and mentioned to her that she needed to clean up after her dog (her dog had just "gone" in the customary spot). She just looked at me like she had no earthly idea what I was talking about - even though I waved my own (full) doggie bag as an example.

Since then I've seen plenty of new fresh piles in the same area, so it's very obvious she doesn't care and thinks it is perfectly fine for her dog to use a neighbors yard as a toilet over and over, even after having been called on it. I'd love to find out where she lives, pick up all the poo, and deposit it back on *her* yard.

*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 PM

820 posts, read 2,451,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Somehow I doubt it - since they don't clean up after their dogs on walks either.
*sigh*
I agree. No offense to those saying that the neighbors may not know but chances are they just don't care. Yes, there are some NON-PET OWNERS who hate animals and will pick any fight they can with a neighbor, but I feel there are far more PET OWNERS who are desensitized to things their animals commonly do that affect the environment of others.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,394,675 times
Unfortunately, in this particuliar case, I would lean towards believing the neighbor is just inconsiderate and irresponsible with his pet....although, I think my point was if everyone makes assumptions about others, and doesn't attempt to voice some type of communication, then it really isn't fair to the innocent person that really didn't have a clue. My dog certainly doesn't run free throughout the neighborhood, but for some reason, (probably when one of the kids was not watching), managed to leave a couple of gifts at the neighbors side yard. I am just happy that they approached us first, and believe me, it never happened again. I just hope when we move that I am fortunate enough to have a neighborhood where we can all communicate with each other...it really would make for a happier place to be....

Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,667,567 times
I would not ASK the neighbors to keep their dog out, but TELL them. Like this, 'You need to keep your dog out of my yard.' If they argue-and they probably will-I'd tell them 'if you cannot control your animal, I will be forced to see that it is controlled.'

It is a major pet peeve of mine when people let their dogs run loose, outside their own yards or dogparks.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM

820 posts, read 2,451,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Unfortunately, in this particuliar case, I would lean towards believing the neighbor is just inconsiderate and irresponsible with his pet....although, I think my point was if everyone makes assumptions about others, and doesn't attempt to voice some type of communication, then it really isn't fair to the innocent person that really didn't have a clue. My dog certainly doesn't run free throughout the neighborhood, but for some reason, (probably when one of the kids was not watching), managed to leave a couple of gifts at the neighbors side yard. I am just happy that they approached us first, and believe me, it never happened again. I just hope when we move that I am fortunate enough to have a neighborhood where we can all communicate with each other...it really would make for a happier place to be....
Right, and knowing who the culprit is, I am all for going to the neighbor and politely addressing the issue. Your case sounds completely different in that it wasn't a normal thing. You seem like a person who should have the benefit of the doubt and these "gifts" not being the norm, you and your neighbor were able to handle it the correct way. I probably wouldn't have even told you, it wouldn't have bothered me as i would have thought it was an accident. The pet owners like yourself aren't the ones you really hear people complaining about. It's the ones who blatantly don't care or have no clue whatsoever.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,585,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
....take the next step....
Being really careful where ......

I find that when I relate the story of how my youngest son, now 25, lost the vision in his right eye due to an infection directly related to indiscriminate dog toiletting, the offenders usually don't re-offend. The neighbors may be totally clueless - the woman I work with, very educated and a great person, said with a straight face: "I can't believe people make such a big issue over dog poop." After I picked up my jaw off the floor and put it back in my face, I shared the above story. We'll see if it works....

Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM

3,577 posts, read 8,753,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I would not ASK the neighbors to keep their dog out, but TELL them. Like this, 'You need to keep your dog out of my yard.' If they argue-and they probably will-I'd tell them 'if you cannot control your animal, I will be forced to see that it is controlled.'

It is a major pet peeve of mine when people let their dogs run loose, outside their own yards or dogparks.
Yep, I can already tell that you are real popular in the neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,667,567 times
Well, I'm more popular than the jerks who let their dogs poop in other people's yards.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 PM

319 posts, read 1,327,931 times
I was meeting my neighbor for the first time, when fluffy came onto my yard. Now fluffy had left "presents" before which ticked me off. I make a habit of letting my dog poop only in my yard and picking up his poo. The neighbor's dog pooed WHILE i was talking to him behind me. He made eye contact with my partner and walked away. I couldn't understand until my partner pointed it out angrily. For the next week, I made certain to stand outside of the front yard with my dog when fluffy was left off leash. She has not been back over since. My neighbors also let their elementary age children walk their dogs. I spotted little white fluffy about to go on my yard. I yanked my blinds up and banged on the window. I gestured frantically for him to get the dog off of my front lawn. I know I probably looked crazy but none of those dogs have been back since!

Now these weren't frequent gifts on my lawn. I nipped it in the bud ASAP. Otherwise, I would have gone to his door and asked him to keep his dog off of my lawn. Heck if you need to......tell them you put tons of fertilizer on the lawn and don't want their dogs to get sick.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 PM

842 posts, read 2,864,155 times
I suggest getting yourself a bigger dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or